2 meter beam

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KC9PNN, Feb 23, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KC9PNN

KC9PNN Ham Member QRZ Page

hi all i have a kenwood tr9130 and i was wandering what would be a good 2meter beam to use for it on ssb i going to work the june vhf contest and field day and also looking for your guys recommendation for a tripod as well thanks tim kc9pnn

2. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

the biggest beam you can fit within your budget and your physical limitations.

if you want the tripod for mounting the beam, you're not really understanding vhf. you want your antenna as high as possible. a push-up mast and stakes/guys would be best. a low vhf antenna is a dummy load.

3. KC9PNN

oh i do understand vhf higher the better i know that i am also thinking ahead let say i wanted to take my 2meter all mode radio to my friends house and set up out side just for the fun of it would u do it the same way

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

If he lives on top of a high hill or a mountain, sure.

At an average "home station" location, you'd want the beam to be at minimum above all the local houses. That might be accomplished with a tripod and a long mast that's guyed.

5. KC9PNN

so would i do the same thing for hf i have been ask to run the vhf station at field day i am not going to use that radio hear at home if i don't need to but thanks for the input

6. WA9WVX

WA9WVX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with the other two ops as operating on two meters you should have a minimum of 55' of Rohn tower or even higher, with a minimum of LMR-400F or equivalent or even 1/2" Andrews Heliax cable for the lowest insertion losses and round the antenna system out with a M Squared 2M12 http://www.m2inc.com/index.php?ax=amateur&pg=82 My philosophy is the Antenna System is the top of the station's requirement. Once you put your money and time into the antenna system every transceiver that you own will outperform the other ham's stations on 2 m or any other VHF & UHF Band. I'd take aluminum antennas rather than RF amplifiers any day.

This also holds true for the HF bands, you can't skimp on the antenna system unless you are uninterested in working DX stations and M Squared manufactures wonderful broadband antennas for HF.

Dan
    WA9WVX

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't necessarily disagree. But THAT wasn't the OP's original question.

Not everyone can put up a 55' tower, either permanently, or for FD.
    A guyed push-up mast would be a decent temporary antenna system, and yes, the higher, the better. But not everyone has a Rohn 55'+ tower, or Andrews hardline, and some of us can't even dream of such ethereal stuff.

Certainly, I agree that the antenna is (almost always) the most important part of a station. but specifically saying "at least 55' tower," and a large 2M antenna is discouraging to many that can't meet those standards. (I'm still looking for a local cable company that wants to 'get rid" of a few hundred feet of hardline...)

It would be more helpful to suggest what CAN be accomplished with a more modest installation, particularly for a portable/Field Day installation, especially when funds are limited (READ: NON-Existent.) and do not allow for a mobile, crank-up tower for such infrequent operation as Field Day.

8. VE3DDL

VE3DDL Ham Member QRZ Page

well you can make a 2m beam on a lot of sizes if you want to do ssb long range with no amp you are looking too make a quad or yagi beam on flat side polo you can try and find a 13b2 ant it is very dir, and 13 db gain and about 11ft long . then yo can stake them for more dir and gain .. ve3ddl

9. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

i have a friend who has a 13b2. he lives about 40 miles away. we can carry on a qso on ssb at this distance and 3w pep. that antenna, while not a super-duper hot-rod, is respectable for the money.

but the point i was trying to make earlier: 2m ssb isn't anything like hf. you rarely get enhancement from mother nature. all your station improvements add up. you look for the smallest amount of gain, height, loss. when you go v/uhf, you get into the technical aspects of radio. and its very rewarding (no instant gratification).

on the issue of coax loss: the smart money is on mast-mounting a transverter. this will allow you to use your hf rig on 2m. and since its hf to/from the transverter, you don't have to buy a ton of expensive coax: rg8 is fine. just a thought.

10. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For an antenna, that is inexpensive to build and that works very well, consider the quagi:

http://n6nb.com/quagi.htm

Glen, K9STH