2 meter band opening

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD5KUF, May 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD5KUF

KD5KUF Guest

Last night at 11:15, the band stretched out and I made a contact with N0ETR in Kansas at 170 miles as the crow flies, on 2m simplex. 50 watts and a tiny moxon beam got me a DX contact for my logbook. I had 3 S units on him and perfect copy, He missed a few words I said, so not quite as good that direction. But all pertinent info was exchanged.

Give this mode and band a try during field day, just be sure to follow the rule of "no field day event contacts on 146.52 and its guard frequencies". This translates to 15 khz either side of .52 in 5 land, and 20 khz in some other areas. [​IMG]

2. N0OV

N0OV Guest

Ground to air contacts are great fun.

Amasiing how far you can talk with such a small amount of power if you are high enough!

Congrads!

3. K4UUG

K4UUG Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a friend in North Carolina that has a 200 ft tower and it has 4 cushcraft 13B2 antennas, stacking boom and phasing harnesses,and he used hard line for the long feed from the top of the tower to the bottom and under ground for 25 feet up under his house and up thru the floor.He has no problem on simplex of over one hundred miles with Just 50 watts He uses an Icom V8000.AWSOME SET UP! [​IMG]

4. NZ3M

NZ3M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We are getting near the time for good tropo on 2m. [​IMG] With a horizontal beam on SSB or CW, 400 mi. contacts are common. FM mode with vertical polarization brings noise with the signals, and you may not hear as far. If you are into the vhf openings, you may want to give SSB a try too.

Dave

5. KD5KUF

KD5KUF Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (AB3BK @ May 28 2004,15:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">We are getting near the time for good tropo on 2m. [​IMG] With a horizontal beam on SSB or CW, 400 mi. contacts are common. FM mode with vertical polarization brings noise with the signals, and you may not hear as far. If you are into the vhf openings, you may want to give SSB a try too.

Dave[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I only had time for the one contact, as I heard himjust before shutting the station down to go to bed. SSB on 2m is kind of slim around here, some activity, but since the SideWinders on Two net from the Muskogee area ceased, area traffic fell off dramatically. I am member of SWOT, but I don't have time to take on running another net right now myself.

Tonight I will check out 2m ssb propogation, maybe I can get out of this quiet zone. (Twilight Zone) [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. NZ3M

NZ3M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Joe, since it is quiet in your area on SSB, you will know when the band is open. I like to spin through the cw beacon frequencies from 144.270 to 144.300. If you start hearing some beacons a little louder than usual, call CQ on 144.200. Tropo ducting can go in any direction.

Good luck
    Dave

7. W5LDA

W5LDA Ham Member QRZ Page

Joe,,i'll listen for you tonight about say 8pm on 144.200
    before i go to work

Larry kd5vsg

8. KG4KWW

KG4KWW Banned QRZ Page

2 mtr ssb is a lot of fun and I have a 2 mtr ssb net every Monday on 144.190 at 8:30 pm EST. I have talked from Southern Va to upstate NY at the Canada Border using a Cushcraft A148-10S 10 element beam at 45 feet, hooked to a ICOM910H running 100 Watts. I have also, made contacts in Rhode Island, Pa, Nj, MD, Delaware, NC, the outerbanks and have heard stations in Ga too. I have a ROHN XB series tower which is 56 feet tall but, I have not yet finished constructing it. I have also made 440 ssb contacts to NC and MD using an old 7 element 440 beam hooked up to the ICOM910H using 75 Watts. 2 mtr ssb is a very under-rated band and should be used more. Our radio club will have a 2 mtr ssb hooked up for use on Field Day.

Also, I suggest that you use Beldon 9913 or RG8U loss coax to run from you antenna to your rig.

Keep watching the VHF / UHF Tropo Reports at the following link:

VHF / UHF Tropo Forecasts

Hope to hear you all on 2 mtr ssb sometime.

73 [​IMG]

9. KB7AQD

KB7AQD Ham Member QRZ Page

When N7TWJ, Bob, and I (KB7AQD, Robert) were chatting on 146.520 MHz FM simplex this afternoon, he was driving to pick me up at work. Helicopter mobile station N7DPS answered us from over 75 miles distant, and he could easily hear my two-watt VX5R using a four-inch Maha rubber duck.

Robert
    KB7AQD

10. W9ASS

W9ASS Guest

The recent opening last weekend was about the best thing going for 2 meters around here as it is. Straight shots from Donwers Grove, IL to Manistee MI across Lake Michigan on simplex was a blast! And this was all done with 30 watts of power and a Comet GP-6. We will all be looking forward to more of this, that's for sure...

PS: For any of you distant hams, IL uses a 107.2 or 103.5 hz tone if you happen to hear an Illinois repeater out there in the tropo DX weeds..

73z,

KC9DGM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.