ad: elecraft

2 METER ANTENNA AND HIGH SWR

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by WA7ZUI, Apr 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WA7ZUI

WA7ZUI Ham Member QRZ Page

what is the best 2 meter antenna with a 3/8”x24 male mount? I just picked up a tm 281a and a mjf 1414 antenna. High swr. I’ve been told not to worry about it, but been hamming since 60’s and do worry about it. First time with a 2 meter transceiver. If the rig will limit power according to swr, is there a chart for reference?

2. K4KWH

K4KWH Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this a dual-band antenna? Assuming it is, I've not found much of a way to "tune" these to perfection we usually want. So, not knowing what, where, how it's mounted, its difficult to say if its simply an inherent fault of 2M/440 antennas, or if there is something else going on.

Is it a pickup bed? Sometimes antennas mounted right on the side rails "object" to that because the antenna is blocked by the cab. I've had to raise mine up some to get it above the cab obstruction. I know seeing SWR out the yazoo makes one nervous. And we want the best performance we can get; we're hams--its what we DO!;) I'm sure you'll work it out.

3. WA7ZUI

It’s on the back of a Jeep. Bout 18” of it below top of the Jeep top. Read the reviews on the antenna and the all say bad swr. Not good. Might try the Hustler later 5his week if I can’t tweak it somehow. I’m not a 2 meter guy, but want it in the Jeep for emergencies that may arise. The old cb can talk Jeep to Jeep, but not going to get help if needed. I do a lot of back country in Ca, nv and Utah.

4. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Simplest solution would be one of the 5/8 wave antennas. Dang near all brands have them, and they are pretty simple to adjust SWR.
    If you are depending on 2 meters for emergency communications... you're barking up the wrong tree, it just isn't very reliable. Sorry...

5. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Do you mean 1/2 wave? 5/8 wave requires ample ground plane for a good match.

6. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Nope, ment a 5/8 wave antenna. If you've got enough "groundplane" for a 1/4 or 1/2 wave antenna,you also have enough for a 5/8 wave.

7. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Two problems ....
    1- the 18" below the roofline
    2-"On the back" ... if that means on the tail gate your mount probably has a very poor ground connections.
    Jeeps are notorious for this.

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Putting an antenna on the wheel rack is not a great location. Have you bonded the rack to the body?

Check out Alan's website for all things mobile including bonding, antenna location, etc.
    www.k0bg.com

You might consider moving the mounting to the cowl or hood for better performance.

10. WA7ZUI

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. After talking to Kenwood and DX Engineering, I sent the rig back. They are replacing it. I borrowed a mag mount and it still goes full max on swr meter so hard the meter clicks when the needle gets to the end of the scale. Does not transmit at all. So, alls good. They’re sending me a new radio.
    Thanks again everyone. Everything sent was good stuff.
    WA7ZUI, Jim