2 Meter and 440 Analog or Digital or Both

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by N6OPS, Dec 26, 2019.

?

What do YOU recomend be installed in a personal vehicle for Disaster / Emergency service

Poll closed Apr 26, 2020.
  1. 2 Meter Analog

6.3%
  2. 2 Meter Analog and Digital

3.1%
  3. 440 Analog

3.1%
  4. 440 Analog and Digital

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Dual Band Analog 2 M 440

40.6%
  6. Dual Band Analog and Digital 2 M 440

56.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N6OPS

N6OPS Ham Member QRZ Page

What to you recommend to install into a personal vehicle for disaster relief support.

2. KN4GEX

KN4GEX Ham Member QRZ Page

Icom 706mk2/mk2g and a hustler trapped antenna. Then you've got it all.

3. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It’s very regional when it comes to digital. Which mode? DSTar, DMR, Fusion, P25 etc. Find out what is used most. A dual band 2/440 is most flexible, added options depend on where you are.

4. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

in a disaster, it makes sense to be able to communicate using as many modes as possible. Personally I prefer analog for disaster use, but having the ability to use digital if required certainly would not hurt. The only problem I have with digital modes for Em-Com is that they are proprietary and there are several incompatible modes out there. Analog doesn't have that problem.

5. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Problem is there are too many digital voice modes, you would need several radios.

6. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In SW Michigan DStar radios are in the Hospitals and EOCs. I vote 2m/70cm analog + digital. That said, my cell phone will probably work.

7. K5UNX

K5UNX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

i would like to see D Star take off . . I hate DMR and Fusion is such a small number than it doesn't seem to register.

8. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

DMR can't be programmed without a computer. Repeaters and TGs seem to be in a constant state of flux.

Fusion was OK but I really disliked every Yaesu 2m/70cm rig I have owned. Sold them all.

9. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

agreed. That is why an Analog capability is an absolute must-have. Then if the local systems use a digitial mode, that is the one to use as well.

10. KG5THG

KG5THG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Depending on what you are looking to do, I would contact the emergency management coordinator in your area and see what their needs are.