ad: elecraft

2 meter AM via Kenwood TM-261A??

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N4RBZ, Jul 21, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N4RBZ

N4RBZ Ham Member QRZ Page

So I have a TM-261A setup as a mobile in my pickup. I haven't owned it long, and generally just use to to scan the band while driving, more than talk on it. Today I brought it inside to program all the local repeaters into it. I accidentally switched it into AM mode. Frankly I didn't even remember that it had that option. But the accident did make me wonder if there was any activity that I could participate in with the radio? What do you think, is it worth spending any effort on? Would it be better to try it with the Arrow 3 element yagi in a horizontal position or will the vertical mag-mount mobile do fine?

Thanks for your time.

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

N4RBZ likes this.
  3. N4RBZ

Thanks, I was unaware it was receive only. I don't get much out of listening to the aircraft band. Thanks for the response.

K3XR likes this.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Very welcome. Listen here to the local airport. It's a matter of interest.

N4RBZ likes this.
  5. N4RBZ

Funny, when I lived south of Atlanta I used to go out at night with a cold beer and a lawn chair and watch the planes circle in holding while waiting their turn to land. And I have on occasion listened to the pilots on a scanner, but it never really captivated my interest. Perhaps if I had listened to a scanner back then,,, while watching them circling

K3XR likes this.
  6. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

It would make a good line noise sniffer. Listen as you drive along the road. Line noise is much more localised at VHF than at HF or the AMBC band. A few times I have managed to pinpoint noise sources down to which pole, using a cheap handheld Radio Shack aircraft band receiver. An FM receiver is useless for this.

The greatest obstacle is likely to be hash from the electronics in the car, which may completely bury the noise you are listening for. I place a magnetic mount whip on top of the vehicle at a spot where I find the metal body of the car offers the best shielding. When traffic is light, I have hopped along, turning off the ignition and letting the car coast, periodically re-starting the engine to keep up momentum. Bicycle mobile is another possibility.

N4RBZ likes this.