2-Factor Authentication is maddening

Discussion in 'Community Help Center' started by WY7BG, Nov 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WY7BG

WY7BG Ham Member QRZ Page

I enabled QRZ.com's 2-factor authentication because I had to in order to participate in the online "swapmeet," but frankly, it's getting to the point where it's not worth it. I regularly clear the cookies in my browsers, and often change computers to one with a different IP address, and when I do the site insists that I log in again. This entails getting a text message, pulling my phone out, transcribing a number, and then going on with what I should have been able to do in 30 seconds without so much hassles! Worse still, the numeric code only seems to be valid for a minute or two. If a text is delayed by the cellular provider, or if my text inbox is full and I have to clear out some old texts to receive the text from QRZ.com, the code becomes invalid before I can enter it.

A good password is, frankly, security enough. 2-factor authentication schemes do nothing but complicate legitimate logins. Please consider revising the 2-factor authentication and/or simply allowing full use of the site with a good password.

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I use QRZ from probably 6-8 computers, tablets, phones, etc. 2-3 regularly. I don't find it an issue to re-login every 30 days or so. If you choose to clear your cookies, then you're creating the issue. Use a separate browser for QRZ if you need to, or be selective about clearing things out.

The password isn't the issue, it's the phishing and spear-phishing attacks that people are susceptible to. To be quite honest, the demographic of the average QRZ user isn't the most computer security tech savvy.

You can always just not use it and not post things for sale - there are lots of other places you can sell stuff if the hassle is not worth it.

Just my humble opinion.

N9SDT and ND6M like this.
  3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Also using multiple devices and don’t see it as a problem logging in once a month.

W9FL likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No problems here at all. I also use 6-8 devices (home, work, shack, shop, portable) - no issues at all.

I have 2FA for my online banking, and numerous online services.

It's tried and true technology and it works.

Just don't clear your cookies every time you close your browser.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I use 2FA everywhere it's offered. It is necessary, learn to live with it.

Clearing cookies frequently is making the experience worse.

You should be able to authorize your private devices for 30 days, but don't authorize public or someone else's device for 30 days.

Expiration of codes is part of what makes it a good practice. Sorry your phone service sucks.

QRZ is leading the way with good cyber practices.

Some sites have released authenticator apps, that makes it a little more palatable.

Identity theft and cyrpytoware is far more maddening.

W7UUU likes this.
  6. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not really. No matter how good a password is, it means nothing if you willingly hand it over through a good phishing scam. Once that happens your account is compromised and available to scammers.
    It's far less likely that you're going to hand over your phone to anyone hence the added security of 2FA. Even if you don't use the swapmeet section it's a good idea to keep your account as secure as possible for the overall benefit of the QRZ community.

KV6O and K8HIT like this.
  7. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I also use multiple computers with QRZ and 2FA. Usually not a problem. But since my cell service is not reliable and I cannot get a cell signal in the radio room, sometimes the code invalidates before I can get there. I see no harm in giving us an extra minute to validate !

And, I do keep my cookies. Have a whole bunch of them.

There is a price to pay for a rural location and farming antennas. Limited internet and unreliable cell service. I knew the price before I made the commitment. But ( for me ) still so much better than living in the city/suburbs with HOA and relying on attic dipoles !

8. WY7BG

If you choose to clear your cookies, you're protecting your privacy. QRZ should not force users to choose between good privacy practices and effective use of its site.

9. WY7BG

Then don't do that.

10. W6TAB

W6TAB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How is 2FA stopping effective use of the site?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.