1x2 or 2x1 call signs via vanity application: How hard?

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by W3IG, May 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. W3IG

W3IG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks! I was, and I even managed one with the proper region number. I am now "The (WR3N) Ren", which is a character in the movie The Cube. Here's the pertainent clip but probably not safe for work or young viewers (gore, language).

I've got my eye on a couple others that will be available in the next year or so that I like better, but I expect heavy competition. Onward and hopefully upward.

2. N0NC

N0NC Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I prefer your W3IG call to W3REN.
    I got My 1x2 after passing the 20, I'm the original holder. Also cost me the fee, and cost me the fee again the first time I renewed it. It seems to me if the FCC is always hurting for money, they would bring back the licensing fee at least for the first issuance. I don't mind the pay to play.
    73, Chuck
    N0NC

3. W5GX

W5GX Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out AE7Q.com.

It keeps track very accurately, and will tell you on that day what calls are available.

If you have a ULS from the FCC, it's super easy to apply - the AE7Q website even coaches you a bit.

I think I applied for four or so calls, and had settled on a vanity 1x4, simply because I thought "KD5TMS" was just too long and just wanted to knock one letter down. But then I got W5GX. I like it.

4. WK1T

WK1T Ham Member QRZ Page

I can understand the attraction of the 1x2 and 2x1 calls. I found mine completely by fortuitous accident one day while checking out AE7Q.com after somebody told me about the website. I put a reminder in my calendar to apply for it on the exact day it became available and beat out 4 others for it.

5. W3IG

W3IG Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been pretty happy with my W3IG call. WR3N just didn't roll off the tongue as easy. Now that I'm learning CW I also appreciate the low CW weight of the my current call.

AE7Q's website is essential once you understand how it works.