ad: AlphaRF-1

1x2 or 2x1 call signs via vanity application: How hard?

Discussion in 'Becoming a Ham - Q&A' started by W3IG, May 20, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6GKS

K6GKS Ham Member QRZ Page

So it's a Lottery, for sure? I thought I was sure I read on the FCC website is was first come first serve. That is, the first application on the date available would be the winner. But now I can't find that information on the FCC site anymore. Also, I applied for a 1x2 just recently, and I was sure I would get it as I applied withing the first minute of the available date. But I lost and the winner was someone who applied at the End of the day. I guess that proves it's NOT first come first server, LOL!!!

2. KU4X

KU4X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi George,

Yup, now you know that it is, in fact a lottery. And it has been that way for a very long time.
    Just out of curiosity, how did you did you determine that the winner applied at the end of the day?

Regards,
    -Bruce

AK5B likes this.
  3. K8PG

K8PG QRZ Lifetime Member #333 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You should keep the call sign you have
    now, its easy on cw and rolls out good
    on phone.
    K8PG Paul

4. K6GKS

It takes time and patients to find the right queries, but you can lookup on the FCC website all the folks that applied, then see their actual application as a PDF file. The file has the date and time submitted to the system.

For example, if you have a call sign that you want to look at, use this Application search:
    https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/ApplicationSearch/searchVanity.jsp

You have to wade though the records, because this is all persons that ever submitted an application on that call sign, but focus on the Date and Status fields. You might see there are more than one Granted. That's probably because that person applied for multiple call signs and that were granted another one on their list..... To see their application, click on File Number to open up their record, then click on the Reference Copy link at the top right of the screen, that will open their application as a PDF.

Have fun!

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  5. K6GKS

I've gotten used to it. My goal and reason for a replacement is I really wanted something that was as short as possible and did not include any letters that can be mistaken for others. I hate it when someone calls out non-phonetic and I can't tell if they said D or B or V..... you know what I mean.

6. KU4X

KU4X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OK...thanks!

And better luck next time! (It took me several tries before I got mine.)

Regards,
    -Bruce

7. N5AF

N5AF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So true regarding the D,B &V when called non-phonetically. I was N5AVF. The "V" was forever getting mangled on phone so I jumped at the chance to drop the V when I saw N5AF was coming available. I managed to win the 1x2 lottery just last week. There were a total of 8 applications for the call, so I consider myself fortunate.

I stayed up late when it became available and applied at 1:05AM (Central). My understanding is the FCC's "day clock" starts at 2AM Eastern. By examining the FCC filing numbers for the call listed on the AE7Q site, I think I was the first applicant.