1watter 40m kit is on the air

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AA4OO, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N5EIT

N5EIT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've got a 30M 1Watter kit on the bench as we speak. I think I'm going to put it in a 6x8x2" aluminum enclosure with an LCD freq readout, and LiFePo internal battery and charge controller with a battery level indicator also, so I can use a solar roll plugged directly into it to keep it topped off when I'm backpacking. It's going to have a capacitive touch paddle and swr bridge as well, with banana jacks for an EFHW on a Sotabeams picotuner. All total will cost a pretty penny, but it'll be my masterpiece of a kit when I'm done....hehe. I love the W8DIZ kits. I plan to build all of them. The enclosure I'm looking at is below...

1455_blue.jpg

Big plans... We'll see how it goes. I'm close to being finished with the main 1watter pcb build, just waiting on a transistor that was accidentally left out and then I'll do the alignment... I'll be getting all the other parts in the next few weeks.

Keep us updated... Interesting little kits, easy to customize, and well worth the $46. I'm a really slow builder. I take a BUNCH of breaks because I have tremors from an old injury, but I really enjoy building now that I've begun doing so.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  2. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

No need for that automatic CQ caller for the 1Watter. The 1Watter's built-in keyer has a beacon mode to do just that.

3. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

A 1Watter for 30m may be next to build on my list. I love that band.

Regarding the LCD readout... keep in mind that the tuning range is pretty small given the VXCO. I just have a few stickers around my tuning knob to remind me where I'm at and it seems to suffice. If I'm curious about the exact frequency I just check where ReverseBeaconNetwork spots me.

KB9BVN likes this.
  4. N5EIT

N5EIT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

30m is my favorite band... Almost all my time is spent there nowadays.
    Yeah, the freq readout is something I've considered scratching from the build but my OCD tendencies make me want to know exactly where I am on the band. Especially since I'm usually nowhere near a computer or cell phone when on the air. I purposely spend a lot of my operating time in the woods, away from urban rf noise, and out of cellular range... hehe.
    When I'm home I do use the RBN to get an idea of where I'm being heard but it's not always going to show everyone. I hear stations quite often that never show up there. I'm sure you know that already. I received the regulator that I was waiting on from DIZ yesterday, so I'll be working on my kit this evening and hope to git 'er aligned tonight. I got a dremel tool setup with a drill press stand last week so I can make my cuts in the enclosure just right. I can't wait to get it all finished and take it afield for a test run.

KB9BVN likes this.
  5. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

My eBay S-49er has a lucite plastic case, or equivalent, easy to cut, easy to glue, it makes a very nice case.

No need for labels.. everything is in view.

I used to pick up my hobby materials at TAP Plastics.

They had small lucite plastic boxes ready-made, as well.