1watter 40m kit is on the air

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AA4OO, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC1JLM

KC1JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

May I ask what you use for power supply? I am using a 9vlt battery for testing purposes.....

2. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

If I use a freshly charged gel battery supplying a little over 13v and I get right at 1w.
    If I use a 12v power supply it puts out 900mw. In the video I was probably running the 12v power supply.

I think you should be using closer to 12v. Input power passes through a diode which drops it about 0.7v taking 12v to 11.3v. The regulated voltages on the board are 11v, 10v and 5v. If you are powering it with 9v then it will be under voltage on a couple of the chips and likely putting out less than 1w at the final unless you cranked up the final's gain.

3. AA4OO

Don posted a fix for the AGC issue by using a voltage divider at the front of the AGC. If you have AGC pumping issues I suggest you try that.

AA4OO,
    http://hamradioqrp.com

4. KC1JLM

I will probably go to 12v or battery pack once it is finished. I am just using the 9v battery for build testing. I am hoping to find an inexpensive option to power it. Funds are tight, but I am dying to get on the air. Should be able to finish build tomorrow and will be putting up the antenna as well.

I hope you don't mind me picking your brain a bit. I just do not have much building experience. Built a Pixie kit to get the hang of things before tackling the one watter.....

5. AA4OO

No problem at all. I've certainly received tons of advice from folks and am happy to share what little I know.

I ordered my 3ah 12v battery from an eBay seller for I think around $15 including shipping so they aren't too pricey, but you do need a way to recharge them.

You may have an old 12v wall wart laying around in a box. It will probably work fine as well.

Rich, AA4OO
    http://hamradioqrp.com

KC1JLM likes this.
  6. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Gosh, you must have the patience of Job. I find my k1 at 7w frustrating at times........

7. KC1JLM

Thanks! I have some good batteries from some of my R/C stuff that might work, but I think they are more set up for high draw applications. I will certainly look into that.....

I do have a wall charger for my Boefang that may work, will have to look at it more closely though.....

Should have the last toroid in this evening and begin alignment/testing tomorrow!

8. AA4OO

I'm not particularly patient.

I worked nearly every station I called today with the 1watter and a couple stations even answered my CQ at 1watt.

I'm using a 40m doublet folded around my attic so nothing stellar there.
    1watt is sometimes all you need.

Richard, AA4OO

KC1JLM and W5BIB like this.
  9. AA4OO

I've been back on the 1Watter recently and continue to make the majority of contacts I attempt. I worked a station last night who was running an amp while I was outputting about 900 milliwatts. Haha, fun times. We had a nice ragchew until a station came in on top of us.

Lower your power and raise your expectations
    Richard, AA4OO
    http://www.hamradioqrp.com/

10. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

Although I'm a big fan of search and pounce in getting contacts with QRP, there's times when you know that conditions are reasonable but not many people are on.

That's where an automatic CQ caller can come into its own.

Set it up, read a book, then rake in the contacts.

Some will say it's overkill but it's a great application for a homebrew Arduino project.