ad: wmr-1

1watter 40m kit is on the air

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AA4OO, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N2PAD

N2PAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Rich, I was referring to the decal paper being cheaper at Amazon, not the radio. Check that link.

2. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice work!

Re labelling; I make my own panels. Here are three of my home-made projects;

[​IMG]

Each panel label was made in the same way.

I design the layout using Publisher; in the early days I used Word but it's very tedious as each change alters the layout of everything that follows on the page. It's possible for simple labels but Publisher is much better.

The layout is printed on plain paper; I use white or an off-white but you can choose your colour scheme.

I then laminate the label using "dry" laminating film; the one I use is Marbig Quick Laminate which I don't think is available in the US but I'm sure that there's an equivalent. It comes in A4 sheets so I just cut-out a piece somewhat larger than the panel.

I then trim the laminated label; a border helps keep the cuts square and can be seen on the power supply.

The best way to get straight clean cuts is to use a very sharp knife, eg a newly-snapped blade, and a steel rule; cutting is done on a piece of glass. Cut firmly & confidently!

Once cut, I lightly coat the back with UHU Stic paste and lay it on the metal or PCB-material panel; the paste is slow-drying so that adjustments of position can be made and any air-bubbles pushed-out. I usually weight the panel label-side-down on the sheet of glass to dry.

After 24 hours minimum drying, holes etc can be cut with a sharp knife; the paste must be quite dry or the paper will tear while doing this. Any excess paste around the edges can be wiped-off with a slightly-damp cloth. If the cloth is too wet, water is likely to seep into the paper edge and mar the appearance; wiping away from and not towards the edge helps prevent this.

AI6KX and K4YND like this.
  3. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that Microsoft Publisher software?

4. VK2TIL

VK2TIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes; I'm sure that there are others, including something in the free Open Office suite.

5. KC1JLM

KC1JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's great! I am about 75% complete on my 40m one watter as well!

The challenge I am facing is the case. I don't have the tools to properly bend steel, so I am trying to find an alternative. What did you do for your case? Did you manufacture your own?

6. N6OIL

N6OIL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

7. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought an $8 case from JPM Supply

8. KC1JLM

KC1JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the links! One of those should work.

Hope to be on the air soon!

Keep us posted on your contacts with the one Watter!

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder how you were sending , saw no movement but it may have been out of the frame of the Video. Hope I can find you on the air. I am going to get my MFJ Cubs back in service and make contacts at 2 W on 40 and 3 W 80M. .

10. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah I was using my paddles which were out of the frame to the right of the bug. I hang around 7030kHz most evenings around 7PM Eastern.