1watter 40m kit is on the air

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by AA4OO, Mar 29, 2016.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Good work Richard. i look forward to hearing it on the air. What freq and when do you operate?

labeling is always the hardest part of a build for me. Aren't there companies that will take a computer generated layout and make a nicely etched panel? I think that's what I'm going to try on my next build.

2. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

3. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

Ouch!

That's over half the cost of the radio kit just for some label paper. Maybe I'll just use a Sharpie.

4. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you get the AGC fixed? I would hate to buy a kit with bugs included:(

5. N2PAD

N2PAD Ham Member QRZ Page

6. AA4OO

Sorta fixed. I added a cap ar pin 7 of the LM386 op amp and the issue doesn't occur as much

7. AA4OO

Those are different designs. This little rig has great selectivity.due to a superhet design that uses 3 xtals for filtering and numerous toroids in the bandpass.

It's a proper radio and very useful in a crowded band.

8. AA4OO

[​IMG]
    This is a significantly more sophisticated design than the little pixie radios or even the rockmite rigs. True bandpass filtering, 3 mixers and 6 xtals. All for $47 plus some junkbox parts. The 3 xtals in the foreground offer a nice 500 Hz steep skirt IF filter. Since it is VCXO (crystal) tuned it is very stable with no discernible drift.

This is the v3 board which also offers a natural sine wave sidetone that is very pleasant to listen to.

I briefly worked portable with it today and received a 589 mid-day report from a station in FL We had 40mph wind gusts while I was operating so the dancing feedline to the doublet wasn't making it easy.

W7UUU likes this.
  9. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

Gosh, I could'nt imagine op in the wind we had yesterday!

10. AF9J

AF9J Ham Member QRZ Page

Noice!! I need to quit being lazy, and build the 1m30 kit I have sitting here (I also need to decide what to use for an enclosure).

Ellen - AF9J