1st CW Key

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N4HFO, Nov 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. W0AAA

W0AAA QRZ Lifetime Member #112 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I got my first key in 1961 as a novice. It was, and still is, an Ambassador Deluxe H.S.K. made in Japan. My favorite keys are a ZN-SLR single lever made by N3ZN and a Solid State single lever made by 9A5N.

Attached Files:

W5BIB likes this.
  2. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first key as a Novice in 1961 (at 14 years-old) was a J-44

[​IMG]

When I became a General, in 1962, I "bucked hay-bales" out in the field to earn enough money to buy a (used) Vibroplex Presentation.

[​IMG]

I still have, and use, both of them today. :D

dit dit

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW !! What a GREAT QRZ.com Bio Andrew !! Now, THAT'S a ham shack !!:D

4. N9CJT

N9CJT Ham Member QRZ Page

My first key was a J-38 donated by my father-in-law, but my first purchased key was a keyer - the MFJ-405 (Econo Keyer II). After several decades it's finally died and they don't make them any more. I'm finding it very difficult to replace it with a single-paddle device that has anywhere near the features for the price and portability convenience. Oh well... IMG_20190407_143239829.jpg

5. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

HI FRIENDS,

YES, YES,

"CW FOREVER"

THIS WAS MY FIRST KEY

J-38 KEY.jpg

IN 1959 THE J-38 KEYS COULD BE PURCHASED FOR ABOUT 5 DOLLARS
    AT THE WAR SURPLUS PLACES IN BOSTON.

I REALLY NEVER DEVELOPED ANY SKILLS TO USE THE
    BUG OR THE PADDLE SO I WENT TO THE WORLD OF
    CW KEYBOARDS IN THE LATE 70'S

I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO THOSE WHO CAN USE
    A BUG OR A PADDLE......BRAVO.....

BUILDING THE ACCU MILL KBD.jpg

PRESENTLY, I USE A SOFTWARE
    PACKAGE CALLED
    "CW TYPE"
    TO BLAST OUT THE BRASS.

AGAIN

"CW FOREVER"

AND

LETS ALL HAVE FUN.jpg

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Alas, my "first keys" both died in a fire in September 1997 when a storage unit burned - we had our house up for sale, and the realtor wanted "all the clutter removed" so we rented a storage unit to store much of my ham gear. And then a massive fire swept the complex and I lost a LOT - including all the VHS tapes of my kids from when they were born :(

But I saved the keys - and I still have them in my shack to this day. No effort to "restore them" - but oddly enough, both still work perfectly - the J-38 and the Lafayette "Coffin Key" bug - my very first bug - of course, the clear plastic lid melted in the fire - but it still works - both still work.

Most would have tossed them in the trash but that's just no me. I wanted to keep them

Photos below were taken 5 minutes ago on my shack bench

These were my very first keys - the J-38 from 1973 and the Lafayette "Coffin Key" bug from 1975 - I'm glad to still have them :)

Dave
    W7UUU

IMG_0370.jpg IMG_0371.jpg

K0UO, W5BIB, KK7AMB and 3 others like this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Just thought I would "bump" this thread up and hopefully others will chime in

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

W5BIB likes this.
  8. K1LKP

K1LKP Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

OK....... HOW MANY FOLKS HAD ONE OF THESE
    CODE_MASTER.jpg

======================== SHIPBOARD RADIO OPERATOR.gif

W7UUU likes this.
  9. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

E7DC2E0E-2275-46C8-97B4-35F2DCECE776.jpeg
    I got the Bencher when I past my 5 WPM and used it to work my way to 13. I got Nye Viking about 10 years ago from a SK. I find the Nye Viking has a way nicer feel, it is now the only one I use.

10. KI7RS

KI7RS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've only been at CW for about a year, but my first CW paddle was 3D printed. I still use it on SOTA activations (in my profile pic). In the past year I've added quite a few to the collection. Most are home made with the 3D printer. I have a "craptastic" MFJ paddle at the office I use for practice. My main keys are a Brown Brothers dual key, and a Magnakeyer. Surprisingly I have a cheap MFJ straight key that I use for most of my straight key sending. I put a cabinet knob on it, and got it adjusted just right. I don't think the arm moves at all I think it's just the bend in the cheap metal that gives it a "smooth" action.