1st CW Key

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N4HFO, Nov 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N4HFO

N4HFO Ham Member QRZ Page

This is my first, looking forward to getting on the air. s-l400-1.jpg
    I have to of the same know, one is going on my desk at work and one at house.

K0UO likes this.
  2. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Smart move; buying a key that already has experience and knows how to send. :)

KG7WGX likes this.
  3. KQ9J

KQ9J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like another operator posted above, my first key was the one that came with the HD-16 code practice oscillator...the first Heathkit I built! After I was licensed, I used it with my HW-16.

Later on, I got a brass key with a shorting lever, I think it was from the Lafayette catalog :)

4. VE3NLW

VE3NLW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

E75C9153-A389-4CB1-94D4-7B4F353D86D8.jpeg
    My first key was given to me by my elmer VE3PT, sk. It is a RCAF key 10A/556 1917.

KE0VHN and K0UO like this.
  5. N4HFO

Good looking key, thanks for the reply.....

6. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

That's bad ass! Thx for sharing!

7. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

My first CW key...Was not my last! It was a Nye Viking Speed X key. I still have it.

VE7PJR likes this.
  8. K9ZMD

K9ZMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My first key was the J-37 (J-44 assembly) that followed Dad home from his WWII service in the Army Air Force Signal Corp. He dragged it out of an old duffel bag in 1958 when I first showed an interest in amateur radio. Those keys work fine and last a long time, and that first one will be the last that I ever part with. Meanwhile, my collection has grown to about 50 keys, mostly U.S. military assemblies based on the J-37, but also including a few non-U.S. military keys.

N4HFO and KQ4MM like this.
  9. N4HFO

Cool story abought your first key,

10. K9FN

K9FN Ham Member QRZ Page

My first was a J-38 that I got in 1957 at BC Electronics Surplus in Chicago, IL. There were two 55 Gallon barrels full of them, new in boxes. I paid $1.95 for mine and used it until I built my first electronic keyer. Then I bought two more J-38s and mounted them on their sides, base to base and used them as paddle for that keyer, replacing the section of hacksaw blade that I initially used, with contacts made from a couple of brass screws in a piece of 1x4 pine board. The J-38s were awesome... felt back then like my Begali does today.