1st CW Key

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by N4HFO, Nov 9, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. N4HFO

N4HFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wondering,
    what your First Key was?
    and now what's your favorite?
    Attach a picture if you can.

Thanks
    73s Jeff

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First key was an Ameco K4, many years ago.

Now that I have returned to amateur radio, my favorite is a Magnetic Classic and I use a ZN-HK for straight key activities -

Magnetic Classic and ZN-HK sm.jpg
    The K4 had ball bearings, too, but they were nothing like the bearings these keys have!

3. KA3CTQ

KA3CTQ Ham Member QRZ Page

My first key I used was a Heathkit Electronic Keyer. I still have the original one I used back in 1979 plus an additional one someone gifted me.

upload_2018-11-9_14-33-2.png

I also have a pair of J-38 straight keys that I use.

I don't have a favorite, but I do use the straight keys more often than the keyer now.

N4FZ likes this.
  4. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought my first key at a hamfest in Belmar, NJ in 1992. I was still waiting for my license to come in the mail. Check out this behemoth, made of plexi in someone's garage:
    upload_2018-11-9_15-6-36.png

I used that for many, many years, and even broke it out for fun last year. As for my 'favorite' key, it really depends on the day:
    upload_2018-11-9_15-8-23.png

That's about half of them. I am a sucker for a J-37, so if I had to pick just one key that I would have to use for the rest of my life, it would be a J-37.

K0UO, K6GB and K9ZMD like this.
  5. W5WTH

W5WTH Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess this counts; my 1st key was the key that is built on board to the QCX.
    [​IMG]

N2SUB likes this.
  6. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

My first key was a Ten-Tec KR-5A keyer with built-in single paddle. Still have it. Used it with my Ten-Tec Century 21.

Later on, I got a Brown Brothers Model CTL-B and an Autek MK-1 keyer at a ham auction in Houston, TX. Still using the Brown Bros./Autek, and I suppose it's my favorite. When my dad went SK, I got his old J-38 and and another Brown Bros. CTL-B.

After returning to amateur Radio earlier this year, I joined SKCC and FISTS to help get my ears back up to speed. For that, i'm using the J-38 and enjoying it. It has a really nice feel to it when I do my part correctly.

7. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

My first key was one of these Ameco plastic "Midnight Specials:"

[​IMG]

But I only ever used it with a Heathkit Code Practice oscillator I built.

When I was getting ready to go on the air, I got myself an Ameco K-4; it was the first key I ever used on air (as it was for many, many others!):

[​IMG]

I still have the K-4; it is my back-up key. But my favorite key now is my WWII Surplus and ex-University of Texas NROTC CW class "CL" key:

[​IMG]

K0UO, WA1GXC and N4FZ like this.
  8. KQ4MM

KQ4MM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First key was a Bencher BY-1, still have it but dont use it anymore

l_by1_.jpg

Have a collection of old brass keys and military J37s but my favorite key and the one I use every day
    is my Bunnell double speed key

20180213_140225.jpg

Another favorite is this 1880s solid base Bunnell key, its amazing to send code on something over 120 years old and predating radio. I often wonder what messages it might have sent back in its heyday..

20180504_151957.jpg

K0UO, KN4ICU, N7BDY and 1 other person like this.
  9. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My first key was also something like the Ameco K-4 as shown by WB5YUZ above. My first rig was a Heathkit HW-16 in 1972 and I'm sure I bought a key at the same time as the kit. A basic cheap key that was good enough to get on the air, and if I still had it, I'm sure it would be pretty worthless. It got the job done at the time.

10. WB5YUZ

WB5YUZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, not worthless! That's why I keep mine as a backup in case something ever happens to my CLT.

But if anything ever happens to my CLT, I will be saddened. I think I will donate it to UT when I die. I just wish I had thought to ask for provenance of some kind when the Chief gave it to me, so I could prove it was indeed used by Naval Aviation Cadets (and probably a whole generation of them).

W1TRY likes this.