1997 Ford Diesel Radiated Noise

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by W7KKK, Jun 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
  1. W7KKK

W7KKK Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone out there had experience silencing radiated noise from a 1995-1998 Ford Diesel Pickup? I am new to mobile HF. If I disconnect the antenna the noise is history so it must be radiated?
    My truck is a 1997 and I have a screwdriver antenna. Noise is worst on 20 and 17 meters. All other bands are OK or at least useable.
    I have eliminated (by testing) the fuel pump as a problem source and the alternator does not seem to be the problem as I do not hear the whine that you would normally get with it.
    What I do hear is a popping that does increase with RPM, although not that much. Of course the diesel does not have much of an RPM range like a gas motor. At this point I suspect the diesel injector module and it’s associated wiring harness. I have been told that this is a high voltage device (over 100 volts) and that the rep rate and high voltage is the problem.
    I have tried ferrites on the cable from the module and the coax with no help. I am running RG-213 coax which was upgraded from mini 8 with a little? help.
    I have also been told that Ford pretty well silenced the noise problem in latter (1999+?) models. I am wondering if they shielded the wiring or modified the module in some manner and have not been able to find out.
    The antenna works fine and the SWR is 1.3 to 1 or less when tuned on all bands so I think the grounding is fine. And I have been told that grounding the hood and other components of the truck will not solve this problem.
    Anybody worked on a 1997 or very close Ford Diesel truck and had any luck silencing the noise?

TNX Ken

2. WN7E

WN7E Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Ken, well I have a 97 F-250 diesel but am only running VHF & UHF. I have no noticable problems.
    I have a remoted radio and have run the coax down and back up behind the cab to an antenna rack I had built.

Hope you get it solved.

3. K2RM

K2RM Ham Member QRZ Page

HAd noise in my 2001 Dodge diesel and grounding the hood eliminated most of it. If you don't have a screwed on jumper gpoing from the hood to the body/chassis add one

bob

4. W8GFT

W8GFT Ham Member QRZ Page

If you do a search there is noise from the fuel pumps
    on both the diesel and gas F-series trucks. if your
    truck is under warranty ford will fix it. I had problems with my dual band getting noise thought it was alt problems but then a ford tech told me it is the fuel
    pump running up. I got a kenwood PB3G noise filter
    installed it inline. Noise gone

hope this gives you a direction to look.

73's

Tim

KC8UFJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.