1950's Frequency Generator ??

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by WA6GFT, Nov 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA6GFT

WA6GFT Ham Member QRZ Page

I just received from an estate a TM11-5030A that was used back in the 1950's.
    Does anyone know anything about this equipment, since I only see it in museums.

IMG_3842.JPG

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've not only used them I've owned them.

That's usually called a TS-497B/URR and is just a re-branded Measurements Model 80 RF signal generator made for the armed forces; circuitry's all the same as is the operation.
    [​IMG]

Being from NJ and having worked for Boonton Electronics for a few years in the 1970s, I knew a bunch of engineers from Measurements Corporation. When they closed operations, most of the engineers went to Aircraft Radio Corp., Boonton Electronics Corp. or HP locally so they all kept doing almost what they were already doing just for different companies.

That generator uses a 955 acorn tube oscillator and those are becoming rare nowadays. Otherwise, it's easy to service and many of them are still around and working after 68 years.

3. K1APJ

K1APJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice generator. Low leakage and a decent attenuator.

Trouble spots could be the bolometer, and scraped coils if the attenuator drive cable is misadjusted. Kinda wish I still had mine!

4. WB2WIK

If you had to carry it up a long flight of steps every day you probably wouldn't miss it.:p

They're heavy.:)

5. WA2CWA

WA2CWA Ham Member QRZ Page

I just checked and even have the manual for the TM 11 5030A aka TS-497B/URR

As part of a estate clean out from a former Polytronics executive, I dragged home a Measurements Model 80 Signal Generator. Worked quite well and highly accurate. Still had the Polytronics metal inventory tag on it. But it was big and heavy and took up too much room so I took it to a North Jersey hamfest and found it a new home.

6. WB2WIK

When I was young (college days) you couldn't swing a cat in any RF lab without hitting a Model 80. Then, an HP 606 or 608 or both.

I don't know how many of them were sold, but it had to be a LOT.

When we were working on developing PLL RF signal generators in the early-to-mid 1970s, one of the big engineering goals was to try to make the phase noise generated as low as a Model 80 or an HP 608, while retaining all the frequency synthesis and PLL advantages of a modern generator. It was just about impossible to do that.

7. KI4ZNV

KI4ZNV Ham Member QRZ Page

I had one on my bench for years until a customer gave me a synthesized R&S. It's rock solid, it has a huge range, it's got a very clean output signal. Plenty of output level. It's everything you want in a signal generator. Add a key and an antenna and get your WAS.
    --scott

8. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Spent many hours in front of 65s, 80s, 606 and 608s, long ago. All good generators, and if left on, very stable.

SM0AOM likes this.