1944 BC-610 E back home!

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by N6YW, Jan 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

About 2 years ago, I sold my BC-610 E to a good friend here locally. I regretted it but I felt that
    my friend's ambition to finally own one was worth it. As time went on and as my friend turned
    80 years old, it was decided that it was time for the mighty 610 to return home.
    Happy to say the least.

It had problems that developed over time and was one of the reasons my friend decided it was too
    much for him to handle.

It's time to re-cap the audio and exciter stages as they are original but amazingly still function.
    I plan to keep it as stock as possible, but some changes are going to be made to make it run better.
    Once these are completed, it's going to be paired with a wonderful Hallicrafters SX-42 and
    matching R-42 speaker. This will become the daily driver rig for 75/40 meters and the Bauer 707
    for the night time boogie.

The original BC-614 and cable are in great shape and many audio mods were done to the 614 to make
    it sound nice, and it does. I use a D-104 with very good results.
    Now, what to do with the HT-9?
    Catch you on the bands!
    Billy N6YW IMG_7829.jpg

KA4KOE, AC0OB, N2EY and 2 others like this.
  2. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Heavy beast!

3. K6BSU

K6BSU Ham Member QRZ Page

The BC610 is a wonderful Tx. I used one for 18 months during my military tour at Naknek, Alaska, as KL7FAG. I pushed it to about 400 Watts with no problems. It always worked.l

4. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

Quite a few on the air lately, along with a few T368's.
    I have a bc610 plate transformer on my basement floor, its one part that is heavier then a 32V3 or DX100 all by itself...
    It just sits there...
    [​IMG]

KD2ACO and N6YW like this.
  5. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The ultimate door stop.

AC0OB likes this.
  6. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Looks like a toe stubber!

AC0OB likes this.
  7. K6RBK

K6RBK Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice! Copied your power plug design on my '45 BC-610-E (blockoff plate over old AC socket hole in the chassis with a short length of wire & a 110V plug through a strain relief). Works nicely.

Glad to see that this will be back on the air again. Fantastic vintage transmitters. Yours looks very clean and I note the filament voltage meter has a round gauge/bezel on yours like it is on mine (not square like many of the Es out there).

[QUOTE="N2DTS, post: 4950979, member: 93535]
    Quite a few on the air lately, along with a few T368's.
    [/QUOTE]

The 610s work great, almost always (I've had two, both rock solid, and the other 610 owners I know have reported the same experience). The T-368s seem to be a different story. I worked through various mechanical bugs in mine (HV pressure contact issues, faulty relays, etc) and now fighting nasty hum on the audio. Originating somewhere in the speech amp or just adjacent I believe but haven't been able to trace it down yet.

Rob
    K6RBK

N6YW likes this.
  8. K6RBK

K6RBK Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Billy, make any progress on that 610 yet?

Rob
    K6RBK

9. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Nostalgic simplicity.

But I'd hate to have to attempt repairs on a BC-610E model, particularly beneath the top chassis section, under battlefield conditions while bullets and mortar rounds were whizzing by and exploding all around. A friend of mine modified his Model E by removing the cabinet bolts and separating the upper and lower sections, then installing a wide hinge across the rear of the cabinet, so the upper section could be lifted up and tilted back for easy access to the RF driver circuitry without having to disconnect anything or play contortionist.

10. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

There was an E for sale in Michigan last week on swap.qth.com. Rig, speech amp., BC939, bunch of tuning units and coils, all for $1600. I thought that was on the high side but it sold pretty quickly. I think around $1000 would have been more like an okay price but maybe I'm out of touch. I thought just a 610 by itself would go for around $500. Of course the buyer may not have paid $1600...and there are a lot of variables.