192 kHz audio card with stereo mic input (I/Q SDR use)?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by N0NB, Nov 23, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Some years back I bought a SoftRock Lite II from another ham who was no longer using it. I dug it out of the drawer recently and realized that I should put it to some kind of use. This one is set up to connect to the IF Out of the K3 and outputs the I/Q baseband to a 1/8" stereo plug. Now I'm looking for a sound adapter capable of accepting stereo mic input and, ideally, 24 or 32 bit/192 kHz audio. A USB 2.0 capable device would be preferred just as a bit of future-proof/portability.

There is a bewildering array of this stuff out there! The most important spec is a stereo mic input and that isn't always easy to determine.

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

ASUS Xonar U5 or U7 mkII.

W1TRY likes this.
  3. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

I've seen the U5 referenced elsewhere. I've been unable to confirm via the Asus Web Site or its user manual whether the mic input is mono or stereo. I presume stereo as it doubles as a mic input and line input.

4. N0NB

N0NB Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course I intend to use the adapter I buy with Debian Linux.

5. W9FTV

W9FTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I like Asus stuff. That soundcard looks like fair bit of overkill, but as long as it's working, it won't be repurposed as doorstop for a long time. :D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  6. VA3VF

7. KG7FIU

KG7FIU Ham Member QRZ Page

Unless the manufacturer specifically specifies it, you may not need 192 kHz. In fact, if I recall correctly, the manual for the most popular digital mode (FT8) recommends you run at 16 bit / 48 kHz. If you run at a higher bit rate, the system will have to dither down. Might not even work. And then you might need to use a separate audio card...

8. VA3VF

If I understood correctly, he is going to use it with a SoftRock, in that case, the frequency coverage is based on the soundcard BW.

9. W9FTV

W9FTV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

192kHz? That raised an eyebrow or three.
    Damn, I have to get one of those radios :p

10. VA3VF

Any reason for wanting to use mic input?

It just crossed my mind that if you use mic input, the card driver will add 30dB gain. This is not always wanted or needed. Again, unless there is a specific reason for it, I would use Line In.

As you already noticed, mic input stereo is not as commom as Line In stereo.

By the way, I had a couple of SoftRocks in the past, and always used Line In.