ad: M2Ant-1

160m - Time to start and build!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by DL4QB, Oct 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello dear OMs,

it's time to be prepared for 160m. In autumn the time of construction and operation on the TopBand begins.

I don't have so much space available horizontally, so I tried the vertical version on one try (I hoped for little).

upload_2019-10-12_17-42-34.png

It is not very important, if you can´t keeep the angle or the exact lenght, just try. I also have more radials in different lenght max auf them 25m. Also my version ist only 15m.

You will find down below all links.

Before I had made first attempts with an Inverted L. 18m hight and 22m horizontal.

upload_2019-10-12_17-46-9.png

That was generally ok, but the top loaded variant above brought quite substantial improvements.
    First and foremost, of course, in TX mode.

Now tried to take some pictures, but it is not easy because of the size :) All of you like pictures..here we go:

4 x Toploading and guys for the mast below.

upload_2019-10-12_18-0-45.png

From the Bottom:

upload_2019-10-12_17-59-50.png

With the measuring device I have a "soft" dip at 1840 khz (SWR about 3). Now this can be adapted with a hairpin, which I also tried, the dip becomes very steepflanking then and can be used immediately in the range of +-10 khz. Probably sufficient for CW.

Of course you can adjust the lenght for the best SWR you need.

In the reception area this antenna is also quieter, no comparison to a Beverage or other solutions, but in most cases it works very well. With the inverted L the interference fog was much higher.

After all, I already have CW connections to JT (Mongolia) and the east coast of the US. Both from me approx. 6500 km away. AA1K and JT1CO as an example.

In FT8 there is an almost daily connection to Japan. Greyline Dxing is an absolute must here!

Form 2018, but did already this year again ...
    upload_2019-10-12_17-49-0.png

Since I also like to do SSB QSOs on 160m, I have to go much further up in the frequency range. So I have connected my tuner and can use the whole range also with "legal limit" on areas where it is allowed.

This thread should serve to cheer one or the other up, to try this antenna form once and if it does not give the horizontal option, then perhaps the height. In addition, this antenna has a very flat radiation angle, so also a DX antenna built. But an additional receiving antenna can't do any harm.

upload_2019-10-12_17-50-48.png

Receiving Antenna at first try in 2018. It is homebrew with Hula Hoop. Inside is 6mm copper. The pre-amp
    is from LZ1AQ. It has a clever design to transport the signal. Take a look on the links.

upload_2019-10-12_17-53-9.png

My setup is described as follows including the components:

Antenna Design:
    DJ0IP:
    http://www.dj0ip.de/vertical-antennas/160m-on-18m-pole/

- 15m Mast from VDL, German Manufactur, any other will work of course as well. VDL has really stable versions, not compareable with fisihing poles.
    https://vdl-fiberglas.de/

- Homebrew Receiving Antenna, with LZ1AQ PreAmp. Lot of good tips there as well!
    http://www.lz1aq.signacor.com/

- The Tuner is a 1KW pep Stockorner Tuner, lso a lot of information on that page
    http://www.stockcorner.nl/index.php/en/jc-4s

As i said, this is my setup, if you like to start simple, you only need guying, mast and wire, nothing else.
    Some additional information on my qrz.com page if you´re interested.

73 Andre / DL4QB

Attached Files:

N0TZU, WZ7U, K8AI and 2 others like this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

I hope to work you on 160, the QRN is now low get on and work someone.

3. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Andre,

That's a very interesting configuration. I only have a small Hustler 6BTV vertical. I added 19 feet of horizontal wire at the top to form an inverted L

I've worked a number of DL's on 160 and would be happy to add you to the list. I'm located in New York and work CW/SSB/FT8.

73 Pat N6PAT

4. DL4QB

DL4QB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Let´s give it this winter a chance :)

5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's ALWAYS time to start and build. In Alaska, we have this thing called "adversity gain." The more miserable the WX conditions are when you put up an antenna, the better it will work. :)

N0TZU and W9RAC like this.
  6. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Not to sound argumentative but I believe "adversity gain" is a more widespread phenomena than Alaska. I have manufactured and installed many a antenna in conditions which after a short period leaves the hands and feet numb. The end product of course is always superior to those crafted on a warm sunny day. Most of the time of course they require additional tinkering, in and out of the inclimate weather to achieve a product of excellence.

My 160 is such a antenna. Built in 20 degree weather with a good stiff wind of course. It's a flat top dipole at 85' that I have used for the last 10 years or so (replaced a duplicate one with it that had been up 15 years) . It has played faithfully for all those years always achieving very low noise floor. If ever get a good zero or below day I may do some touch up work on it. Thanks for fun post, 73 Rich