160m FST4 in Europe: 1837.5

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by M0AGP, Feb 9, 2021.

Tags:
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a heads-up that I have learned where people are using FST4 on 160m out here. I tuned to 1839, which is the default FST4 frequency in WSJT-X version 2.3.0. and called CQ and to my amazement got a reply. Most of the amazement is due to actually making contacts on my very substandard 160m antenna... Have worked a few countries across the English Channel or North Sea this way.

People use the 60 second cycle it seems.

I like FST4 with the 120 second cycle- very sensitive. A friend in 9-land USA and I managed QSOs on 20m and 30m when it would have been impossible on FT8.

I think it’s slightly more sensitive than JT9. Might be good for 160m DX?

Where is the US FST4 freq on 160? Maybe 1839?

K0UO likes this.
  2. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

What is FST4? Is this yet another new mode that does almost the exact same thing as FT8?

3. M0AGP

Sort-of: it is intended for MF and LF bands and there is a default 160m frequency for it of 1839 in WSJT-X.

It is in a way similar to JT9/JT65 but more sensitive, and you can choose the timing cycle from 15 seconds all the way up to 30 minutes! But 30 minutes is not what you would want on a band with rapid QSB I suppose!

I think it is pretty cool to get down to -40dB sensitivity.

Apparently some guys used the most sensitive setting to reflect light off of clouds and communicate at a distance of almost 100 miles!

I think it would be good to have known "watering hole" frequencies and times for digital modes for all the HF bands. There are no HF defaults frequencies yet for FST4.

4. M0AGP

KY1K likes this.
  5. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

This will be helpful! I use a low, short random wire antenna on 160. I really hope to get Asia this year as I can cover the Americas and Europe/ N Africa without a problem on FT8.

6. M0AGP

It is impressive that you are able to cover that kind of distance on 160m with a low short random wire! Are you running QRO?

7. W0AQ

W0AQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm going to try it now!

8. W0AQ

Well, it works between Maine and Massachusetts. :rolleyes:

M0AGP likes this.
  9. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

75-100w into (about) 100 foot "Inverted L" over a maple tree, one CP wire (also 100') along a chain link fence, in a "G" shape. This antenna simply shouldn't work, but I use it 6-160! I think it's because I'm so close to Chopmist Hill and the unexplained RF Vortex that was discovered in the 40's.

M0AGP likes this.
  10. W0AQ

I made it from Maine to Kentucky and Minnesota after my initial Massachusetts contact. Fun!

M0AGP likes this.