160m CW, and 160m Phone, but no 160m RTTY/digital contests?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Nov 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K1ZJH

K1ZJH Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the world is limited to 1810 kHz and above. There is virtually no activity below 1810. The International Telecommunication Union allocated the frequencies from 1810–2000 kHz to amateur radio operations in ITU Region 1 (Europe, Greenland, Africa, the Middle East west of the Persian Gulf and including Iraq, the former Soviet Union and Mongolia)

KK5JY likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I know the whole "...stop kvetching and get busy..." is your shtick, but you're overdoing it a little today. ;)

N3AWS likes this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe. But many of us just don't have the space for a decent top band antenna. On the other hand, a contest might make some of us--me for example--get off their butts and figure out at least a compromise 160 antenna. :)

4. K4EJQ

K4EJQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Folks: Let us OT' s enjoy ham radio like it use to be for a bit longer. NO "Black Boxes", keyboards, computer controlled everything, code readers, etc. . Let us wallow in the tar pits just a little longer before disappearing from the hobby. Glub , Glub, Glub….Bunky, K4EJQ

AC8UN likes this.
  5. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Get yourself a Hustler 6BTV vertical and add 19 feet of horizontal wire to the 80 meter resonator at the top to make a great inverted L. I have 85 countries and WAS on 160 running less than 300 watts with that configuration. Total dimensions: about 24 feet tall and about 19 feet horizontal for the top wire. Takes up hardly any space.

Don't believe the hype that you need a gigantic antenna or lots of power to work 160. My LDG tuner allows me to work the entire band.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    W4NNF and W0PV like this.
  6. KK5JY

Agreed. I have used a 43' wire vertical several times for 160m contests, and I never ran out of stations to work, even at 100W. Long live the SG-230. :)

The first thing I learned about 160m is that most of the work is done by the ionosphere -- not the transmitter. Power helps, but the heavy lifting is done by nature.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IMO, most of the work is done by the "big gun" stations with fantastic low-noise receiving antennas.

I'm always impressed during the ARRL 160 test that almost any of the "big guns" I call, no matter where they are or how weak they are to me, hear me immediately and come right back. They're doing the "heavy lifting."

I've worked ON4UN on Top Band (that's 6000 miles from here) calling him with 100W. He was maybe 2 dB above "ESP" level here, and if not for good headphones and concentration, I wouldn't have even heard him. But he heard me anyway. I remember working the W8JI station in the ARRL 160 test when it was still daylight here and their signal was just whisper level above the noise. Came right back.

It's the fabulous receiving antennas these guys use!:) I don't have room for those, so I'm relying on them.

8. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd very much welcome such an event

:)

Dave
    W7UUU

KK5JY likes this.
  9. KK5JY

Then there must be hundreds and hundreds of "big guns." :)

Then again, you are correct about having a good RX antenna. The 160m contests were very tough for me until I started using dedicated RX antennas. Definitely worth the effort.

W7UUU likes this.
  10. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are hundreds and hundreds of them.

I can probably name a hundred and I sure don't know all of them!

I remember visiting W6AM's QTH in the late 70s and again in the late 80s before Don passed on. He had 16 rhombics occupying -- I don't know, so I'll guess -- 20 acres. All switchable from the shack.

It's amazing how many hams do similar stuff.