160m CW, and 160m Phone, but no 160m RTTY/digital contests?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Nov 8, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anybody know (or want to take a guess) why there are no RTTY and/or digital contests exclusively for 160m?

There are plenty of CW contests for 160m in the wintertime. There's even a CQ WW 160m SSB event in February.

Why is there no digital contest dedicated to 160m?

Would you like to see a 160m digital contest? Perhaps an extension of either the ARRL or CQ 160m event calendar?

2. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

So?

If you think there should be one, go start one.

Don’t kvetch and kvell about it. Do it!

3. KK5JY

I wasn't. I was asking questions. That's what all the '?'s are for. :)

4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

The reason that these contests haven’t existed on 160 only in the past is most likely due to two reasons:

Few operators of the modes on 160
    Lack of access to the band in most of the world

Both of those have been issues in the past. They may not be issues today, especially considering the explosion of digital modes aroun 1840 kHz the last few years.

So maybe the time is right, though I’m sure the contest haters will disagree with the notion.

Which is why I am saying that if you think the time is right, don’t talk about it, do it!

5. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

For one unexplained big reason, despite the official FCC allocation of digi modes over the entire segment, and despite relatively recent FT8 take-over of 1840 kHz, the ARRL sponsored voluntary "band plan" still ONLY designates 1800-1810 kHz for digital modes.

Aside from that, Top Band has always had a sort of special status, ala WARC bands. It's aka The Gentleman's Band; more contests may rub that a bit too raw.

KK5JY likes this.
  6. KK5JY

Interesting point. IIRC, even PSK-31 never used 1800 to 1810...

7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, I have hardly heard anything but CW occasionally way down there.

Another explanation for lack of a digi-contest is the history of 160 meters. The ARRL 160m contest did not start until 1970. For a long time the band was constrained by special geographical power regulations and LORAN QRM. Most commercially made SSB gear of that era did not include 160m, so it was mostly those with BA AM and HB rigs.

IMO, the Top Band "plan" needs to be totally inverted. There can be a HUGE difference in propagation between the bottom vs the top end, ie 1990-2000 kHz. DX not heard down below becomes easily workable closer to the MUF.

KK5JY likes this.
  8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a few digital and RTTY stations on 160, but probably not enough to make for a contest.

9. KK5JY

If there was a contest, do you think it would attract enough activity to reverse that?

10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Only one why to find out for sure... sponsor it and find out!