158.400 BUSINESS BAND OFFSET??

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KD4YSH, Nov 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KD4YSH

KD4YSH Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello looking to see what the offset is for the 158.400 business band, I cannot find anything on the FCC website and I was told there is no set offset for the repeater pair for receive and transmit. If anybody has any info on this I would greatly appreciate it, thank you and 73's

2. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

That frequency is for itinerant mobile and commercial use. It's probably just a simplex allocation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_band

3. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

YSH:

Unlike the higher frequency commercial two-way radio frequencies, there are no specific repeater offsets for low band (30 MHz to 50 MHz) or high band (150.8 MHz to 174 MHz). To license a repeater, 2-different frequencies have to be found and those frequencies need to be far enough apart to work well as a repeater. As such, the "split" can be basically "anything"!

Glen, K9STH

4. KD4YSH

Thank you very much for your information, If the posted frequency on the list is 158.400 would thei be the receive of the repeater or the transmit? Thank you again for you time and help.

5. K9STH

If it is indeed a repeater, the most likely thing would be the output from the repeater.

However, since the frequency is only available for intinerant operation, which means "Operation of a radio station at unspecified locations for varying periods of time" it is very unlikely that repeater operation would be allowed. There are only 4-high band frequencies allocated for intinerant operations:

151.505 MHz
    151.5125 MHz
    158.400 MHz
    158.4075 MHz

The only possible frequency, that could be paired with 158.400 MHz would be 151.505 MHz.

You need to read 47 CFR Part 90 Section 90.35. That is available at:

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=94ffb59cc7d61522f5d20bd67f10787f&node=pt47.5.90&rgn=div5#se47.5.90_135

Glen, K9STH

6. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a station class code for itinerant repeaters FB2I and FB2T is for temporary repeaters. There are a lot of both types licensed on the 151 & 158 MHz itinerant frequencies among others.

7. KD4YSH

Hello Glenn and thank you for your response, I was just curious how you came up with the 6.895 offset of the 151.505 for the 158.400 output freq. Thank you again for your help

8. K9STH

YSH:

There is no standard offset for low band or high band. Since there are only 4-frequencies for itinerant use on high band listed in 47 CFR Part 90 Section 90.35 and since there has to be a fairly wide difference between input and output frequencies, there are no other choices for frequencies.

Normally, one doesn't use the 4-decimal place frequencies with a 3-decimal place frequency. That narrows the choice down to exactly 1-frequency.

Glen, K9STH

9. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

Business Band (Wikipedia), FCC LMR Part 90
    An itinerant frequency is normally used for mobile (portable) commercial activity, such as construction work or event planning. This comes in contrast to a license issued for a fixed location.

VHF Frequencies
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Business_band#VHF_frequencies

Some of these VHF Frequencies are known to general public as the Color DOT (Red, Purple, Green, Blue) frequencies or MURS. These are SIMPLEX (non-repeater) Assignments
    ---
    Code of Federal Regulations

FCC Part 90.35 Industrial/Business Pool
    http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=94ffb59cc7d61522f5d20bd67f10787f&node=pt47%20.5.90&rgn=div5#se47.5.90_135

Industrial / Business Pool Frequency Table
    Scroll down to 158.400 and 151.505 MHz, both are footnoted with 17.

Footnote (17) This frequency will be assigned only to stations used in itinerant operations.
    ====

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  10. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Bulls***. Show me where in Part 90 it says repeater operation is prohibited on the itinerant-only frequencies.
    There are thousands of licenses for itinerant repeater operation on VHF/UHF itinerant-only frequencies.
    Licensees can also be authorized wide area, statewide or nationwide itinerant operation on other frequencies.
    Here is but one example of a license that includes repeaters that may operated anywhere in the US away from the Canadian border area: http://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/license.jsp?licKey=3214188
    I guess somebody forgot to tell the FCC that.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.