ad: elecraft

15 Years of QRZ

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

I just finished shipping the first batch of the Version 30 QRZ CDROMS and it made me stop and think, gee, it's been 15 years already since the first edition went out.

It was back in 1992 that I bought my first 1/2 inch magnetic tape from the FCC containing the callsign database. We didn't make a CD from that tape but instead made copies on 1/4 inch cartridges. It was just the raw data with no lookup program. The whole thing was setup on Usenet, in the rec.radio.amateur newsgroup.

Six months later, when it was time for an update, I decided that it would be pretty cool to use the hot new CDROM technology. Since the entire database was only about 50 megabytes, I tried asking a prominent CDROM publisher (Walnut Creek CDROM) if they might include it on one of their shareware CD's. They said no, but that they would consider making a separate Amateur Radio CD.

We worked on the new edition for a couple of weeks and in a flash, I though of a name: QRZ. It seemed to fit.

The first edition of about 1000 copies sold out almost immediately. Within 2 years we were selling more than 1000 copies per month. Note that most of the world had not yet heard of thw World Wide Web, and there were no websites to speak of, anywhere.

Around the same time, I started the QRZ dialup bulletin board in Scottsdale, AZ, and it became an instant hit in the local area. We were at 1200 baud and loving it. All of the software was homegrown, and written in C running on SunOS 4.0, on a SparcStation 1 machine in my spare bedroom. I wish I had a picture of it now.

Two years later, the first browser called Mosaic (later to become Netscape, Mozilla, and now Firefox) appeared on the scene. It was a big hit and before long I had made friends with a local internet service provider who had a single 56 kbit line. They let me move my SparcStation 1 into their building and hookup directly to the internet. I wrote an email to Internic and was granted the name QRZ.COM. There were no fees whatsoever for domain names at the time.

Over the years, a lot has happened. Walnut Creek CDROM has long gone out of business and the QRZ CD now sells fewer than 2000 copies per year, thanks to the success of the internet. Our line speed went up to a T1, then two T1's, then a 3mbit segment on the backbone to now, a 10Mbit fulltime backbone connection. Our servers have been upgraded at least half a dozen times. We still run Sun equipment for all of QRZ, however now the main machines are x86 instead of Sparc based.

The CDROM is still a beloved part of QRZ and I'm very proud to say that it's gone to a lot of places that I'll probably never visit including: Antartica, the Mir space station, the ISS, and all 7 continents, and many, many countries around the world. I figure that in total about 200,000 copies are in circulation today. By the way, the Version 1 CDROM is quite rare. I only have a couple of copies myself!

I call the latest edition (V.30) the "white album" because, well, of it's mostly white cover. For some reason, it seems a little more shiny than some of the previous editions, or maybe it's just the gleam in my eye. Either way, I'm still the proud father of those 750 copies. Already, more than 150 of them have found new homes around the world.

I'd also like to thank all of you who've purchased the QRZ CDROM over the years and especially those of you who've tried to collect one of each edition. Each one has helped keep QRZ online, free, and up-to-date over the years. They're still a big part of our annual budget.

Yep, 15 years later we're still going strong and in fact stronger than ever. Since it's the time of year to be thankful, I'd like to take this opportunity to say THANKS to all those around the world who have and continue to make QRZ one of their preferred websites.

Happy Thanksgiving,

-fred AA7BQ

2. AD5LT

AD5LT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Fred for the service you have provided, and a Happy Thanksgiving day to you and your family

3. N2NH

N2NH Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't realize it at the time, but I bought the first edition. It's probably around this crackerbox apartment somewhere...

[​IMG]

Congratulations, Happy Thanksgiving and here's to many more years of QRZ.

4. N1XDS

N1XDS Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Congrats & Party Time [​IMG]

5. KI4ITV

KI4ITV Ham Member QRZ Page

Congratulations Fred, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Also would like to thank you for everything you do here with QRZ. [​IMG]

6. WA1YNE

WA1YNE Ham Member QRZ Page

I usually check your site more than once a day. I look at the swap shop and the news items both.

7. N3JBH

N3JBH Ham Member QRZ Page

great site Fred and Happy Thanks Giving. i hope it here for another 15 years...

8. N5VLZ

N5VLZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi, Fred...

The first copy of QRZ I got was version 12, and it was the last one that had the entire shareware collection on it. Except for the exams file area (with the changing of the Question Pools), and the rig modification files area (which I copy from the CD to the ham radio files area of my ham radio/weather telnet BBS)...all those shareware files are on my BBS. I put the .PDF files of the Question Pools online instead.

Thanks to Dave Perry, W4KGU, of Independence, Missouri, and his P-T-B (Pass The Buck) Software, I got 5 freeware ham radio doors...one of them allows BBS callers to search the QRZ CD. My BBS is the last remaining dial-up and telnet BBS in Arkansas...aptly named "The Thunderbolt BBS".

The other doors Dave did are a door to keep track of "Worked All States" on many of the HF bands, and several modes...a door to access the statewide packet network courtesy of my TNC, a door to search the Part 97 rules, and a door for 26 ham radio information categories. The Worked All States and Packet door are for licensed hams, but the QRZ, Ham Radio Bulletins, and Part 97 Search are for anyone.

I've ordered 2 copies of late, in case one goes bad...and as long as it's produced, I will be a regular customer for QRZ.

9. W8CXU

W8CXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred OM,

Many BIG tnx for the great job you do for our hobby. If we could only get our folks to notify the FCC more propmtly when the move, change callsigns, etc. You do a bang-up job notwithstanding.
    Frank/W8CXU

10. KB1PLB

KB1PLB Ham Member QRZ Page

11. W4RLR

W4RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for QRZ, Fred. Happy Thanksgiving!

12. KC7GNM

KC7GNM Ham Member QRZ Page

Fred,

My first copy was Vol 6, Jan 1996 and I still have it. I keep it for one reason. My grandfathers callsign, KA5TTZ (SK) is on there. He has been long gone but he was my inspiration to become a ham and to get into communications.

13. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

A great resource Fred. The only thing I'd add is a link to 1x1 calls:

http://www.ncvec.org/1x1.php

Otherwise it's a tremendous help. Thanks for doing it!

14. N7PLC

N7PLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Many Thanks!

15. K3UD

K3UD Guest

Fred,

Thanks for being there [​IMG]

George
    K3UD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.