ad: HamInsurance-1

15 is coming Alive

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K0UO, Sep 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For the last few days I've been working a lot of stations on 15meters.

Today I just worked the Battleship Missouri in Hawaii from Kansas/ just a few minutes before that, I worked a number of Europeans along with South and Central Americans.

I expect the band to be opened good to the Pacific in a few hours from this KS QTH. 17 meters has been good also/ with a big JA opening yesterday afternoon/ from No-where land in Mid America, HI

Good DX
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the daily

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

CR3W on RTTY heard here on 15. Haven't worked him yet, but shall prevail.

K0UO likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Last weekend in the WAQP Salmon Run, 15 was doing really well - fully coast to coast with JAs as well.

Nice to have some propagation creeping up in frequency :)

Dave
    W7UUU

K0UO and WZ7U like this.
  4. KB4MNG

KB4MNG Ham Member QRZ Page

15 is my favorite band! I use to love working into japan, cw around 6pm est. Those guys love cw... that was during the last cycle, hopefully it will come back

K0UO likes this.
  5. N8RKD

N8RKD Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing heard on 15m at 22:00 UTC in MI. Better luck next time

6. K0UO

Open here again/ South America and Pacific, weak but making SSB contacts.

FT8 has looked active all weekend.

7. K0UO

8. KE0EYJ

KE0EYJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Me, too. I'm going to switch the yagi from 17m to 15m soon.

9. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

Hamdom life is really good.

For me, 15 meters has been great for the Caribbean, Central America, and all of South America. I've found it open pretty much all day long from sunup to an hour or two after sunset.

Ten has been open recently during the afternoon, but nothing spectacular. I think I worked three stations on ten in the last three days. One was in the Netherlands, one in Puerto Rica, and one in Brazil.

But 20, 40, and 80 have been absolutely crazy. In my nearly 60 years of operating, never before have I consistently worked DX, especially on 80 meters and 40 meters. Twenty has been open with DX nearly 24 hours a day, starting with Europe from morning to around sunset. South America starts coming in strong about an hour before sundown. British Columbia, the Yukon and Alaska, Asia, the Pacific Islands and Australia/New Zealand (on 40 and 20) from about an hour after sundown to just before dawn.

I don't even have a fancy or powerful station. My antenna is a 53 foot long inverted L about 35 feet high with four above ground radials. It has been tweaked to give me less than a 2:1 VSWR on 80, 40, 20, 15 and 10 meters without a tuner. On WSPR and CW I typically run 3-4 watts with a 50 year old Ten Tec 505. On FT-8 I typically run about 20-25 watts with an old Ten Tec 540.

The last few months have been a lot of fun on HF.

K0UO likes this.
  10. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Worked some EU stations today on fifteen. Been a long time since I was able to do that! Good to see fifteen reviving. Maybe ten and twelve might wake up soon also. I've only made a few contacts on twelve, so that's new territory, but it can't be too different from ten.

K0UO likes this.