146.520 on the road

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N3TDV, Sep 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. N9RVB

N9RVB Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^^^^

This is important. I always key for 3-5s even when calling on a repeater so people scanning can lock on. 10s may be better. And say what frequency you are on. Repeat it a couple times so I can get your call.

I've ignored MANY calls when 1) my scan picks up mid transmission and I miss part or all of the call and 2) the station says they are "on frequency" or simply "listening." By the time I get my eyes on the radio it's off scanning again and I have 1) no idea who the station is or 2) what frequency/repeater they are on. This happens quite often!

"PTT.... pause pause pause... This is N9RVB listening on 146.52 simplex, this is N9RVB listening for any callers on 146.52 simplex. over."

I don't call out often but I'm at about 30% getting contacts along the highway...

-rvb

KC9ONY likes this.
  2. KT4VQ

KT4VQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently drove from Atlanta, GA to mid-state Ilinois. Not a peep on 146.520 up or back. I also made trip to Kansas (almost Colorado) from Atlanta and not a peep out and back.

3. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems thars not that many hams even listening on simplex to talk with anyway.
    So maybe why you aren't gettin anywhar calling.
    Don't understand why you FM guys NEVER bother to just call "CQ" like us HF guys do.
    That always gets attention esp on FM for me at least.

4. KE0VQS

KE0VQS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am a new ham. At home I have a Kenwood TM-281 with 9 channels programmed. 8 of those are repeaters in Western South Dakota and 6.52 in the other. I leave it on scan and three time now I have struck up a conversation with someone passing through Rapid City. My vehicle is set up similar except I have all the South Dakota and Minnesota repeaters programmed in along with several simplex. The last two trips to Minnesota I made contact with people. It really is hit or miss but I always like to try.