146.520 on the road

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N3TDV, Sep 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. WD5IKX

WD5IKX Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with Barry...Go HF mobile. There is always someone to talk to.

WD5IKX and Casita.jpg

John WD5IKX

N4VER and KU3X like this.
  2. KI5FXG

KI5FXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a conventional way to put out a call on simplex? I'm guessing you don't call CQ...? I'm a new licensee, and would be happy to throw out a call on .52, but would prefer not to sound too much like an idiot.

3. N1OOQ

N1OOQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well it's FM, so you're either heard or you're not. So a long HF-style CQ probably isn't necessary, but nothing wrong with "CQ simplex, this is N1OOQ, anyone around ?"

KU3X likes this.
  4. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

The only way to fly! Impressive setup.
    Barry, KU3X

WD5IKX likes this.
  5. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

Because 2 meters has relatively short range, the answer to your question is probably quite regional.

I've use 'AF7TS calling .52' and I've used 'CQ 2 AF7TS' with no complaints.

As N1OOQ says, you don't need a long call to give people a chance to tune you in clearly, although with lots of people scan a bunch of 2m frequencies so you don't necessarily want to make your call really short, at least the second time around :)

Jon
    AF7TS

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Just don't say your call and nothing else. For one thing, people don't know if you are K3XR or if you are calling K3XR. If they monitor a number of different VHF/UHF frequencies they would have no idea what frequency you are on. A simple THIS IS K3XR listening 52 is all you need.

N4VER and WD5IKX like this.
  7. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Key up for 10 seconds or so before you make your (CQ) call.
    If somebody is scanning a lot of channels or has a radio with slow scan speed it could take that long (or even longer) before they hear you.

N4VER, WD5IKX and KY1K like this.
  8. KI5FXG

Cool, thanks guys! I'll give it a shot and see if I can find anyone.

N4VER likes this.
  9. AF7JA

AF7JA Ham Member QRZ Page

I am frequently driving in the west and mid-west, where towns are few and far between. As I approach a town I generally call out, "CQ CQ, this is AF7JA calling CQ on 52."

Yes, it is a long call, the reason is to try to capture any radio scanners. However, there is one thing to keep in mind about my approach. It has never worked. I have never managed to initiate a contact calling out on CQ.

The only contacts I have made on .52 was joining in a conversation on the way from Yreka to Redding CA, and a time I passed through an area in CO that had a "net" with quite a few residents. I just happened to be riding through on a bicycle tour.

The CA conversation was about twenty years ago and the CO conversation was about five years ago. I can not remember any other conversations on 52. With that in mind, my method of calling out as I approach a town is to be treated as being a bit circumspect.

KJ6NQW likes this.
  10. KI5FXG

Hmm... time to try calling CQ at the centroid *between towns* and see if it makes a difference!