ad: ARR

146.520 on the road

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N3TDV, Sep 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AA8NN

AA8NN Ham Member QRZ Page

I live near the ohio turnpike and qso with a traveler once in a while. A couple of years ago I drove from ohio to Arizona and called simplex along the way. I only got a couple of chats in Illinois and a couple in Oklahoma. I thought I'd get a few more. Once you get in the wide open spaces of Texas and new Mexico it is pretty desolate as far as radio signals go.

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What could possibly be wrong about using simplex? Anything to save wear and tear on repeaters should be strongly encouraged.

KU3X and K0UO like this.
  3. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

One of my trips to the Dayton Hamfest, from PA, back in the 80's, I put a sign in my back window, "52 Simplex." On the back of the van were two HF antennas and a 2 meter antenna on the roof. My plate had my call sign so there was no doubt I was a ham. Nobody gave me a call. As I passed through different towns, I did hear some activity on 52 simplex but it was not strong enough for me to make a contact.

It use to be, many years ago, when you passed a ham on the highway, you'd hit your horn and send, "Hi Hi". Once passed you would put your hand out the window and hold up 5 fingers and then change it to 2 fingers. If the ham you passed had two meters in the car, you'd always strike up a QSO.

Do that now a days and the person you pass thinks you are mad at him. Then hold up your hand with 5 and 2 fingers and he'll think you are signing something terrible to him and really get mad. So sad to see this being lost !

Barry, KU3X

N4VER and K0UO like this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Barry,
    Thanks for me reminding me of those days when two meter Simplex was so much fun. The digital guys can't easily do that nowadays they have to set up talk groups and all kinds of things.

And it goes back to when I was flying formation air-to-air (Air to air hand signals date back to World War II) I always did the same thing in the military to change frequencies and maintain radio silence until we move to the new frequency.
    So it was always fun doing it on ham radio!!![/QUOTE]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019
    N4VER and KU3X like this.
  5. WB6FQZ

WB6FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK .52 is the "Calling" frequency. fine, make a call and if you get into a QSO then move off to another frequency or stay on .52. If you stay on .52 just leave a pause between transmissions and maybe say "Are there any stations wishing to make a call?" It's no big deal. Nobody seems to care when QSOs go on for several minutes or even hours on 52.52, 223.5 or 446. Chill out people...........

KJ6NQW and K0UO like this.
  6. KJ6NQW

KJ6NQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Recent trip from Klamath Falls to Portland, 610 miles, zero contacts on 146.520. I might have had more luck on CB!

N4VER likes this.
  7. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

I do advocate _transmitting_ tone (100 Hz) on .52

However until such time as the vast majority of users do so, I do not advocate using tone squelch on .52

My reasoning is that tone squelch is rather more reliable than carrier squelch. So _IFF_ everyone was transmitting tone then listening for weak stations would be more comfortable. Ideally a radio could be set for _both_ carrier and tone squelch, though I don't know of any that permit this.

Additionally, IF people use tone squelch on .52 it should be obvious that one monitor the frequency without squelch prior to transmitting.

Back to the OP, I've had several chats on .52 while driving. Its use seems quite regional. I've also found that I needed to call far more frequently than every 15 minutes.

Jon
    AF7TS

8. N8FPY

N8FPY Ham Member QRZ Page

After trying, fruitlessly, for over a month to raise a QSO on my 45 minute commute using 146.52, I bought an OpenSpot 2 and went digital (Wires-X). Now I frequently participate in 2-3 QSOs each way and monitor others. This is way more fun. If I had a dual VFO radio I would monitor 146.52, but with only 1 VFO available, I would rather go where the action is.

W4POT likes this.
  9. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to use the internet instead of Ham radio, there is plenty of Skype voice chat that you can join!

10. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Want to play ham radio while traveling? Put HF in you car !

Go forward, not backwards.

Barry

N4VER, KM4FVI and WD5IKX like this.