146.520 on the road

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N3TDV, Sep 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

"(2) 122.700, 122.725, 122.800, 122.975, 123.000, 123.050 or 123.075 MHz at all other airports."

What is it your need to feel better? Do you need a study showing the most popular frequency? Someone to hold your hand? 122.8 was the standard back in the day and still is at least many of the airports I fly. It's ok, I will let you win the internet today because you feel the need to sideline a discussion over minutia.

K0UO likes this.
  2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My airport which is 4KS, has an assigned unicom frequency of 122.80.
    Unicom is for air-ground communication and airport traffic also called Aeronautical Advisory

Real pilots use 123.45 for air to air BS

Now someone will now say that is not an "Air to Air" frequency, They may be right but, IT is used world wide daily (By real Pilots)......... HI

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    WD4IGX likes this.
  3. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

But,...but,...but,...what about IFR or SVFR traffic? ;-)

4. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[Deleted - in the mood I'm in being both snarky and correct is really fun but I'll let it go.]

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  5. KG5FEK

KG5FEK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm out in Houston and keep my radio parked on 146.520 and 446.000. I don't hear activity on .52 very often, but every few weeks I hear and reply to someone, or throw my call out on my drive home and occasionally get a reply. Try to spit my callsign out fast while I'm up on an overpass sometimes, not always anyone listening on the other end but have made a very short callsign exchange like that before. Did hear a guy talking on a HT while flying over the gulf this morning, was not clear enough for me to copy while driving but he was getting plenty of replies already.

For 446 I've rarely heard anything. Once or twice but not clear enough to copy, and maybe once where they using it as a talk channel to try to help a guy troubleshoot something on his hf amplifier.

6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

My kind of field, Mine is 3b3. Soloed gliders in 74 and powered in 78 there. Guess its good to come back. Getting run down as of late though.

K0UO likes this.
  7. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, remember to put on your glasses if you wear them. o_O

I've read pages about a unicorn and wondered wtf. Then on go the glasses and unicom pops out. :oops:

Don't ask me to drive the plane, ok? :D

KO4PKS likes this.
  8. N8ZL

N8ZL Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave, I know this is an old post and i hate to agree with you. I monitor 2,6 and 10 meter simplex and yes more activity is needed. FM simplex as very pleasant to listen to and when 6 and 10 opens up it's a blast.

KJ5T likes this.