146.520 on the road

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N3TDV, Sep 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

There are certain places where hams believe that 146.52 should ONLY be used as a calling channel and they get upset when people actually talk there.

2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I must be why nobody's on it in those places.
    You can even contest on 52 Simplex nowadays

3. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

What does this mean? What is Unicom like, and how would that change common use of 146.52?

4. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Unicom is ground station at airports that is usually operated by a FBO and is not used for air traffic control.
    At some airports the unicom and CTAF (common traffic advisory frequency) share the same frequency.
    It's not relevant at all to ham radio and what N1IPU posted makes no sense.

WD4IGX, K0UO and N0TZU like this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

They probably get upset about lots of other nits. Gotta guard those frequencies for when the Zombie Apocalypse occurs!

K0UO likes this.
  6. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Unicom is a calling frequency used by VFR aircraft to contact airports or warn other traffic of their presence. It's not meant as a chat line. It's universal as is 121.5 is for emergency use. If The ARRL had half a brain it would work with the IARY to coordinate calling/emergency freqs. to be left open on each band rather than treat the spectrum as a contesters paradise.

7. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The word is commonly used that way but it's not correct. What you describe is CTAF, not Unicom. CTAF = Common Traffic Advisory Frequency. At airports that HAVE Unicom it is usually, but not always, on the same frequency as CTAF but it's a different function. Unicom is a ground station that can provide information and sometimes services. They may be able to advise of current fuel availability, restaurants in the area, let you know where transient parking is, even arrange a rental car for you depending on the airport.

It isn't supposed to be used for routine air-to-air except for advising of location for traffic avoidance and such. In practice it often is, a bit, but certainly not for long chats or anything.

I get the suggestion, I just disagree with it. I wouldn't have quite a time in the past but now 146.52 is so deserted in most places ANY legal simplex activity is GOOD activity.

KO4PKS and K0UO like this.
  8. N1IPU

Unicom is air to ground, used as advisory for uncontrolled airports and general communications between Air to air and air to ground communications. It's the go to frequency in general aviation. It's relevant to Ham radio as calling frequencies are common frequencies. Unicom is used as and advisory frequency at uncontrolled airports Such as letting other aircraft know you position and intent. Hope this helps because sometimes nothing makes sense to some people.

WD4IGX likes this.
  9. N1IPU

Depends on where you fly. Most small airports CTAF and unicom share common frequency as my airfield does. In practice when CTAF was adopted it was intended as the frequency for when the tower closes. Uncontrolled airfields its just Unicom.
    122.8 is unicom and that's a standard. CTAF does not have a standard frequency though many share 122.8. I will just say anyone to look it up if in doubt and they will understand what I was saying in the beginning absent hair splitting for hair splittings sake even when their wrong.

10. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page