146.520 on the road

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N3TDV, Sep 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: l-BCInc
  1. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I may have been one of our contacts. I was on the south end of Death Valley going to Baker and made a nice 52 contact by Tecopa.
    We have been in the Valley area for about a week and went to the Yuma hamfest

73 from,
    The K0UO "Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire, I'm In the Air or On the Air daily

2. KN6OAK

KN6OAK Ham Member QRZ Page

Possibly could very well have been you. It would have been on the 16th, the day after the wind storm in DV, around 10AM or so. Our simplex faded behind a hill shadow near Tecopa. That night, once again, a wall of dust crept into the valley and from about 5PM to 4AM it blew. The rest of the week was picture perfect.

3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't just " throw your call out " ! Make a complete, long transmission and state your purpose. "KQ0J listening " means nothing to the listener.

If you are looking for a contact - say so and give your frequency - I scan 20 some frequencies - your transmission may be over by the time
    it gets to 52.

- Depress your mic key for 2-3 seconds at least BEFORE saying anything - this gives scanning people a chance to get to that freq.
    - Announce your call slowly and clearly
    - State your purpose
    - Identify the frequency
    - Repeat a few times with 30 seconds in between.

" .................................................. this is KQ0J listening on 146.52 looking for ( contact, QSO, Signal report , information ) Kilo Qubec Zero Juliet mobile
    on 52 "

W5ESE likes this.
  4. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I too have an IC-V8000 and it has been uber reliable.

A few weeks I was traveling Iowa and it was the small towns I passed through in which someone answered my CQ on 146.520. When on the road and out in country I keep the output power at 80 Watts. I have a VHF/UHF tuner in between the Icom and the Mag mount 3/8 wave antenna.

And I do think it is important to say more than just "this is AC0OB mobile and monitoring."

Express a desire to make a new contact or get local directions, etc.

Pheel