ad: M2Ant-1

146.520 on the road

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by N3TDV, Sep 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N3TDV

N3TDV Ham Member QRZ Page

I took a 10+ hour drive from Pittsburgh to Connecticut, gave my call every 15 minutes and not an answer, dismaying yes. Please if you travel and are at home consider put 146.520 into your listening routine, repeaters are nice, but, antenna to antenna is the true magic of this hobby! Who knows a band opening may occur.

AE7QT, N4VER, KC0RJX and 4 others like this.
  2. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Everyone is told "Don't use .52 for everyday chat" so nobody listens to it anymore. I've tried (and failed) to get my friends to use .52 as the default "I'll give a quick call when I get close" but they insist on using either another simplex frequency, or the local repeater.
    (Yes, I'll call from your driveway to your livingroom using the repeater. That is the logical thing to do. *eyeroll*)

I have had two contacts on .52 in the past couple of years. Probably because my magmount has about a 3 mile range. One was while I was driving and it lasted under a minute (rather boring really) the other was a CQ from near the top of a mountain that was answered from nearly 80 miles!

If I lived near a highway I would definitely have a radio set to 146.52, probably with a beam pointing down the road!

N4VER likes this.
  3. KD9NQC

KD9NQC Ham Member QRZ Page

I can reach about 20miles out from home with the current setup and hearing repeaters quite a bit farther.

I do hear conversations on 2m calling frequency around here once in a while. Probably quite some distance away as the second conversation party didn't come through the squelch.

I did find a ham that listened on 446.000 when I made a signal check call , but I find myself to listen to that sertain local repeater most of the time.

Since I'm new to this can I use this thread to ask on listening habbits? With only one device how does one monitor all the calling frequencies? :)
    Even if I have the SDR dongle running it still cannot show the entire band let alone multiple bands

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

There was a thread a year or so ago where someone was actually advocating using a PL tone on 146.52 simplex :eek:

I try to keep a radio on 52 all the time - with NO TONE set - that way I will actually hear somebody if they call. I live in a mountainous area so we get a lot of SOTA operators using 146.52 so the area actually has quite a lot of simplex activity. Of course, if I had a PL tone set I'd never hear ANY of it!

But yes - more folks should use 146.52 and feel free to have a chat!!

Dave
    W7UUU

N4VER, W7TRD and AI7PM like this.
  5. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

A scanner. Even a Baofeng can scan a couple of frequencies per second. I have one as a dedicated scanner for 146.52, 446.000, 223.5(?) And the local repeater.
    Being on an island I also listen to Marine ch16, and FRS ch1.

N4VER likes this.
  6. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I monitor 652 since I-10 is about a mile north of my house. Had a few QSO's in the last few months with folks traveling through...

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

7. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

When I'm in the shack, I'm always listening to 146.52. Tuned Ringer Ranger at 30 feet, 160 watt amp one flip of the switch away.

It stays quiet most of the time. Occasionally, someone driving by on I-20 in East Texas within 20 or 30 miles of Longview throws out a call sign and I always jump in and say "howdy."

I hardly ever do repeaters anymore.

N4VER likes this.
  8. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

I monitor it, and rarely take a trip where I don't make a contact, even out here in The Interountain West.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

N4VER likes this.
  10. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

The ARRL is simply a ham club. What they do or don't allow on a frequency doesn't matter to me or many others. What matters is how the majority of people feel, not the overinflated ego of someone in Connecticut!

N4VER, AC0OB and WB5MG like this.