ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

I monitor 52 on my FT51R when it is on. Made many great QSO's there. Generally not that busy around Carmel/Indianapolis.

N7RJD.....I think you must be posting from the dog house. ;)

2. AB8RU

AB8RU Ham Member QRZ Page

I installed a Radio that was totally programmable for some reason either I programmed it wrong or the CMOS had other instructions that I am not aware of, for example it will not go below 146.000o Mhz.

However I monitor HF on 28.400o Mhz. USB and people wonder why I am hardly on 2 M. lately? I have an Extra and just started to explore HF and one of the large area repeaters turned into a 2 M CB Channel during the day, maybe I'll find the 70CM or 1 1/2 M codes and reprogram the HEX code . :eek:

3. K2ENG

K2ENG Ham Member QRZ Page

I do the same thing. I travel quite a bit for work and am lucky enough to have a dual band rig in the truck. Had some pretty good QSO's on 52.

4. KI4QFL

KI4QFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I was shocked last night. I have been calling CQ on this freq for over a month, in Northern Kentucky and I got a reply back from Cincinnati Oh.. I was like WHOA...
    I was beginning to think it was a dead freq in the Greater Cincinnati area.

5. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

.52 is useless here when there is a band opening due to the fact someone has installed a "LINK" on 146.52. Simplex signals on 146.52 are picked up, rebroadcast on 147.510 and an UHF link and vice versa.

It becomes a bloody nightmare. I hear hams just across the lake from me Ohio complain about this link all the time.

I rarely monitor 146.52 due to this mess. :mad:

6. N9JPS

N9JPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Use it ot lose it!

I also live in the Indianapolis area and here on the west side, there are quite a few of us that use 52 for ragchewing in the evening and late at night. Occasionally we will get a mobile unit on I-70W or US-40W or I-465. I even talk to some stations near Speedway and on the east side. There is even an IRLP node on the 52 in Danville, IN.
    I have heard numerous hams complain about using the 52 for ragchewing and being a hinderance to someone using 52 for an emergency. #1 - How will you know if there is an emergency on the frequency if no one is there? (kind of like the "if a tree falls in the forest and no one is there, ..." conundrum.) #2 - When was the last time you heard or handled an emergency on the 52? (ubiquitousness of cellphones, anyone?) #3 - This is ham radio, not chicken band! (We don't have to leave certain frequencies or channels unused to be monitored only, a la Channel 9.)
    I dislike hams that think they are the frequency nazi or czar. We already have that in Washington! As long as the operator(s) are not acting maliciously or crudely, let people use the frequencies! Too many restrictions and people will not stay with ham radio very long. The ragchewers do not stay on 52 very long and we WILL respond to a call for help or information.
    73, Bill;)

7. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just keep a little space between transmissions to allow for others to break in. That's all. Radio cops need to read part 97.

8. KJ4NRH

KJ4NRH Ham Member QRZ Page

exactly. this is common etiquette in the repeaters in my area. of course, not everyone follows it-it's all to easy to get excited during a ragchew, but if you listen for more than 2 or 3 transmissions, you'll almost always hear a pause long enough for break (no, that wasn't a pun :p) into the conversation if need be, or if you just want to join it-which I hear happen all the time. There's one repeater in this area that more or less acts as a educational repeater where hams can go and ask questions about anything. on my way to work today I heard a guy asking about where to find vacuum tubes locally, and I couldn't tell if he was talking to 2 guys or 3, but I did hear someone break in with his call during all the commotion to help out.

so yeah, there's no need to be paranoid about using up a so-called emergency frequency. any emergency traffic is going to be able to commandeer the frequency if they need to, alls you gotta do is either give up the freq to the emergency traffic, or drop what you're doing and help out.

9. N9ZAS

N9ZAS Ham Member QRZ Page

Every since a fellow ham's battery was dying one winter night,allowing him enough juice to call for help,I monitor .520 all the time,even though I don't care for two meters.
    N9ZAS.

10. KV4JW

KV4JW Ham Member QRZ Page

It is my understanding .52 is NOT an emergency frequency at all. 146.520 is listed by the ARRL as a national simplex calling frequency.

Technically, ANY and ALL amateur radio frequencies can be classified as emergency frequencies. A simple double break on any frequency immidiately turns said frequency into an emergency frequency.

It was mentioned above that this is not CB! Amateur operators should NOT have to go to a "special" frequency in an emergency.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure the FCC states that in an emergency ANYONE can use ANY FREQUENCY they need to obtain assistance if life or property is in immidiate danger.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.