ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KD8KSX

KD8KSX Ham Member QRZ Page

Do folks monitor this? I guess it's supposed to be the frequency to use out in the wildernes, etc. Just wondering if people monitor this much. I usually keep it on the B side while I use the local repeater on A, but any transimissions on it are few and far between.

2. KJ4KDM

KJ4KDM Guest

Its the national call frequency. I know quiet a few people monitior it.

3. W8HDU

W8HDU Ham Member QRZ Page

I monitor 146.520, as well as 52.525 simplex in the car. I've had some real pleasant QSOs on simplex.

At least around these parts, it's not real active for people at their homes, but mobiles are usually on these frequencies.

4. KD8KSX

KD8KSX Ham Member QRZ Page

It was real quiet driving from Charles Town, WV to Petersburg, VA and back this past week (about half was I-95 and I-295). I'd love to have some simplex QSOs.

5. NA0AA

NA0AA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, but it's usually a waste of time.

Sadly, I can count on both hands the Q's I've had on .520 when traveling, and I do regular 1000 mile interstate trips where one would expect to hear some activity.

I have it on my scanner most fo the time if anyone locally needs information, I'll hear the call.

6. AE5JU

AE5JU Ham Member QRZ Page

146.520 mhz and 146.460 are both monitored here. 520 is not talked on much, but monitored. We try to leave it available. 146.460 is used a lot here, but as the area repeaters are gotten back on the air, less now.

(Just now getting repeaters, antennas, towers, back up and running from Hurricane Gustav)

I have these tagged on my radios as "SMPLX1" (146.520) and "SMPLX2" (146.460).

7. K0RGR

K0RGR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I always have 146.52 in my scan list when mobiling.

I've found that the best way to find QSO's while travelling is to pre-program my radio with the repeaters (including CTCSS tones) I will likely hear along the way. Having a rig that can be set up to scan 'memory banks' lets me dedicate a different bank to each region.

Another thing that's been working for me on occasion is to use the 'Voice Alert' feature of APRS. http://aprs.org/VoiceAlert3.html

Mobiling around this part of the country is a hit or miss thing. Some trips, I have chats all the way, and other times, dead silence. I catch an occasional call on 146.52 and the 144.39 APRS frequency, but most of the time it's one of the high level repeaters in Minnesota, Iowa, or Wisconsin.

Among the other things I intend to change when I become King will be a requirement for all 222 Mhz. and higher repeaters to have a remote base station on 146.52 at all times, with a national CTCSS tone.

8. WS2L

WS2L Guest

I usually monitor 146.520

You never know who else is going to be listening also and I have had many good QSO's there.

9. KC2UGV

KC2UGV Ham Member QRZ Page

Here .52 is used as a rag-chew in the mornings, but after that - dead silence until 11PM or so. Then by 1:30AM, dead. Then back alive at 6AM.

10. KJ4AUR

KJ4AUR Ham Member QRZ Page

Removed May 07, 2009

Last edited: May 7, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.