146.52 was too crowded for SOTA

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N1VAU, Aug 1, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not a lot of SOTA to be had in Central Texas but .52 can certainly get crowded during the VHF contests. There does seem to be more activity these days on simplex, the Oak Hill club in South Austin hosts a Simplex activity night I think on Tuesday's called South Side Simplex. I would need a pretty big beam to participate though since I am far northeast these days.

During the VHF contests I have parked a couple of times at the overlook on Loop 360 overlooking downtown Austin and can do pretty good with just the mobile antenna.

I should give SOTA a shot one of these days.

N1VAU likes this.
  2. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

I was in Austin recently and that area has SOTA spots but from my research they are inaccessible.

I think with a Handheld Yagi you could have fun from Enchanted Rock near Fredericksburg.

I activated Johnson Peak relatively close to you. It is surrounded by Possum Kingdom lake last fall. HT VX6R and Rollup Jpole.

Erik
    KE8OKM

3. KJ7OTM

KJ7OTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well there isn't a whole lot of activity on .52 around me, but I do monitor, and call out on it, fairly frequently.

Have made a few contacts that way. Often from people cruising down the highway, close to wherever I may be.

Any time me and others are operating simplex, we purposely choose frequencies OTHER than 146.52, so that we don't "hog" it.

Most of the SOTA activators I've been informed about have been calling in .52 and .58.

.52 would always be the best bet on 2m, I'd think.

I'd think it best to have each tuned in, on any dual-watch radio, call out on both, and go from there.

Is it a thing to use two radios for this, for a true dual-watch approach?

4. KO4CTF

KO4CTF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We have a 2M SSB net every Tuesday at 8pm on 144.205 Chris. Some users like myself are still building up their towers and antennas and participate with simple loops and J Poles. Last night there was a Shippensburg PA station that wandered into the net to our group who are mostly in FM07 and FM08. You should give us a try one night. I checked into the net one night portable from the Blue Ridge Parkway on my homemade 3 ele yagi on a modest tripod and happened to catch a 2m SSB opening and worked NJ with 50w. We pickup wandering stations being near 144.200 occasionally.

There is a bunch of SOTA activity and general activity on 146.52 here in the Shenandoah Valley. I monitor on one VFO in the vehicle and when portable all the time. I catch a good many SOTA activators just by monitoring. Most of the local SOTA guys know each other so if they both end up on .52, one usually QSY's nearby and they refer all their contacts to each others spot after getting their S2S.

I have only activated a single peak. I did Turk Mountain Summit here in FM08. I think I pulled 22 QSO's in just under an hour with one S2S at about 62 miles. Another activator ran into me at the trail head and worked other bands while I was activating so I could get one under my belt. He monitored my activation with his HT and was actually helping to spot missed contacts during doubles and when I was pointed the opposite direction. It was fast and furious, but it was a blast. He grabbed a few while he was there that were different call areas he hadn't worked.

We have a good number of peaks here to activate and good reach with many peaks reaching over 3000'. Where it gets really crazy is when the local group gets together and simultaneously activates 8-12 different peaks up and down both sides of the Shenandoah Valley. They do spread out across the simplex spectrum and spot ahead so that is helpful. Some will run HF only if it gets too full on VHF. They all wander in and out of .52 to keep tabs on each other and get S2S done. That is a fun time for sure if you are a chaser.

N3AWS, KE8OKM, N1VAU and 1 other person like this.
  5. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool! I'll try to check in. I only have a vertical, but it may work. :)

Chris

KO4CTF likes this.
  6. KJ7OTM

KJ7OTM Ham Member QRZ Page

It pays to monitor the .52!

Couple days ago I was mobile with just a 5 watt ht as usual (MD-UV380) and was contacted by an operator on one of the peaks surrounding Mt. Rainier....25 miles away!

Cool stuff.

KE8OKM and N1VAU like this.
  7. WA7ARK

WA7ARK Ham Member QRZ Page

I flew from Prescott, AZ to near Calgary, AB last thurs. I monitored .52 all the way. Heard one weak QSO on .52 while passing East of SLC. I called CQ several times. Usually raise someone while flying at ~12k msl

8. KB1MCT

KB1MCT Ham Member QRZ Page

The last time I heard someone calling as an aeronautical mobile on 52, it came alive like I'd never heard it before around here.

Usually it's dead as fried chicken :(

N3AWS and N1VAU like this.
  9. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

@KB1MCT call me from the high-level bridge RT-95 between NH and Maine next time you're headed to camp. I usually have 52 on in the house.

KB1MCT and N3AWS like this.
  10. AD7SK

AD7SK Ham Member QRZ Page

There was finally activity on .52 Tuesday. Someone was asked about their new electric bicycle and that person went 'full infomercial' mode for nearly 20 minutes about the bike, what it can do, and 'treating' listeners to the sound of air rushing over the microphone as they rode up and down their street, stopping to talk to their neighbors.