146.52 was too crowded for SOTA

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by N1VAU, Aug 1, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

What Dave said. At least around here, we (the community, not just myself) try to avoid interfering with other hams on .52, but it's been my experience that there is virtually no simplex activity outside of .52. More than once while activating a summit with a buddy who prefers 2m, I'll defer to him and let him have .52 while I'll self-spot on .58 and try to get contacts there. He'll get 5-6 before I can get my first one. Some of those will be dedicated chasers, but often they'll be people just lurking on .52 waiting for someone to show up.

I find HF to be much more productive than using 2m frequencies other than .52.

70cm is in between .58 and .52 effectiveness-wise. 1.25m is lower than 70cm and 2m unless you luck into a crowd of 1.25m fans. :)

Chris

N3AWS likes this.
  2. KI4POT

He wasn't complaining. Said so in fact. He was just commenting on his experiences in light of how folks say 2m is dead.

Chris

AG5DB, N1VAU and TJNII like this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But that's exactly what he was doing, complaining. Well OK let's say he was bemoaning the fact that he had to wait to make a few contacts ! At least that's the way it reads to me. I would think people would be excited that 2 meters was actually getting some use.

I also just don't understand the mind-set that 146.52 is the ONLY frequency that SOTA can use and then getting upset that other people were also using it.

Geez. Spread out. There's more to VHF simplex than 146.52.

4. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I absolutely, positively most definitely missed the complaint.

W6KCS and N1VAU like this.
  5. N7NIT

N7NIT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I didn't read @N1VAU's post as a complaint, but rather as more "observational" in nature. I can see how someone might, with a certain mindset, read it that way, though. And I think that @N1VAU probably did as well, thus his disclaimer that he was not complaining. I don't agree with your "bemoaning" label, either.

AG5DB, AE0MI, W6KCS and 1 other person like this.
  6. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Who's the complaint?

My post was about 52 not being dead in my area, didn't mean it to be a complaint. Text sometimes reads like it's from an angry robot, although that wasn't my intention.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    W6KCS and KA4DPO like this.
  7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

When I lived in Florida, 146.58 was the move to frequency for simplex, after making contact on 146.52. I am glad to hear that there is simplex activity on 2 meter FM, it is great for new tech licensee's to know that there is more than just repeaters. I would like to see more SSB activity on two meters, but it seems like it is up a little lately.

N3AWS and N1VAU like this.
  8. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

With 150 VHF SOTA activations under my belt (all across the USA) I might have something to add to this topic!

I can recall a grand total of 5 activations where I switched on my HT or 818 and their was a QSO going on. Only twice did I have to QSY after waiting a bit for an opening. NYC area and Bay Area CA have a vibrant .52 community from what I have experienced!

Just this week I hiked up Hook Mountain in the Hudson Valley and had a fun SOTA/POTA attaining 14 QSOs in @ an hour. A couple chasers remembered my activations from the area last fall and it was fun catching up!

I did QSY about halfway through activating because a couple of Spanish speaking hams started to overpower me. Maybe a oceanic duct? Lol it was No problem they probably couldn’t here my QRP rig. I have found that doing dual SOTA/POTA spots via web even off the .52 simplex will attract QSOs.

What I hear most often though is “wow 2m simplex is dead around here. Great to have some activity on the band!” Please note I do a lot of SOTAs in strange to VHF SOTA areas!

If you want to make sure a frequency will be clear try using 52.525!!!

Erik
    KE8OKM

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    N3AWS, KI4POT and N1VAU like this.
  9. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's some activators around here who call on .52 and switch to .58 after intial contact.

SOTA activators around here would be lonely too if they just called on 58.

There are a bunch of people who are monitoring 52 normally. Yesterday I think the guys I usually contact were away from their radios while the weather was so mild. (Can you blame them?)

10. KI4POT

IKR!

I've said many times a new Tech could have a lot of fun doing SOTA on VHF in this area. Actually, there are a number of new Techs in this region who do a lot of SOTA and/or just random hilltopping and such. They're experimenting with antennas too.

I'd gladly get on 2m SSB, but my portable radios don't support it and I don't have a horizontally polarized antenna for 2m SSB at home, though I do sometimes monitor 144.200 SSB with my vertical. During the last VHF contest, my buddy used his 818 and vertical j-pole to make a number of SSB contacts for the contest. We were camping on a summit doing an activation as well as working the contest and he tried it on a whim.

Chris

KA4DPO and N1VAU like this.