146.52 FM

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K2SOG, Dec 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AC7AZ

AC7AZ Ham Member QRZ Page

There has been an active group on 146.52 for more than 20 years in the Phoenix area. Kind of a loose confederation of outcasts, but much more entertaining than repeater traffic.

K0UO likes this.
  2. 2E0NYH

2E0NYH Ham Member QRZ Page

it's interesting to see such discussions , though of course being a Limey type my equivalent is 145.500

i'm lucky in that my home QTH IO93SE has some decent elevation by Lincolnshire standards are my roof / chimney antenna can get out to the west over the trent valley

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

'Round here (Los Angeles), 146.52 is probably more active than any repeater is, even though most of our repeaters are on mountaintops and have fine coverage.

A big boost to simplex activity has been SOTA (Summits On The Air) activations, which seem to occur every single day by a lot of different stations. They're mostly out there in the morning, sometimes very early morning before they head off to work or whatever else they do, but there's a lot of them. The guys who make the hike up to Mt. Baldy and similar locations that are up 10,000 feet and have no roads to the summits are doing some serious hiking but once they're at the summit, a 5W handheld and small antenna nets them contacts out to 150+ miles, so they have a lot of callers.

4. KE8OKM

KE8OKM Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a fun QSO conducting a SOTA activation in Colorado with a ham from Missouri or Nebraska (forgot details) He said he travels many miles a year and was thrilled to work a SOTA activation.! He also said I was his first 2m simplex QSO Mobile ever.

5. KE8OKM

I was activating Big Pine Mt. southeast of Scranton Sunday afternoon between torrential rain showers! I did not move frequencies though. I was able to make 5 contacts with my FT60R and Arrow Yagi in less than 15 minutes.

6. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In NNJ and at 1200 asl, I thought 52 would be busy or at least hear someone, nope, virtually dead and I'm only 40 miles from NYC.

7. KE8OKM

If you haven’t already. I would build or buy a Yagi put it as high as you can and point it at NYC area. I did a SOTA activation from NJ highpoint and was making QSOs into the city with 5W HT.

8. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

I occasionally talk to people on 146.52 here in Dallas. There is activity on quite a few of the other simplex frequencies. There are even several nets each week covering wide areas. 147.52 and 146.58 are popular frequencies around here.

9. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I occasionally hear a group hanging out on 147.42 simplex in the Dallas area when conditions are right. Dallas is about two hours drive time to the west of me. I've been tempted to try to join them, but they're weak when I hear them.

10. N4DJT

N4DJT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

WE4E likes this.