146.52 FM

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K2SOG, Dec 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Today, I often set my scanner to search 2M, hear some DIGI buzzer signals, but rarely hear any FM voice signals. any more.

2. KN6DUT

KN6DUT Ham Member QRZ Page

W6KCS ...Sandy in Sacramento here (KN6DUT) ...I'm trying to use my time wisely and learn more about my Baofengs & Repeaters...hope more local people within my signal range will stepup to offer guidance. I do use a J Pole antennae from Ed Fong and recently tripled the height...which has really cleared up my signals...just hoping to push theenvelop and learn more about repeaters. I do have 20+ channels programmed into the HTs using CHIRP ...so I learned alot prior to just getting my Tech License last summer! I also listen as much as I can and have checked into a few Nets as a Visitor. Any suggestions? ;) 73- Sandy in Sacramento

3. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Sandy, try to keep track of the contests that include VHF and try some simplex on .52 during them, it's a fun way to get a lot of contacts in a short period of time. I'd also suggest that anyone who can get out to a hilltop or other good location to try it and see how far they can talk on simplex. When I think of my long ham radio career, the first few FM simplex contacts I made from hilltops and tall buildings stand out as some of the most fun.

Good move raising the antenna, it really makes a difference. As far as repeaters, just scan around and listen for groups that are having fun on the air, and join in. If you listen enough you'll figure out where there is activity and where there is mostly silence ;-) The club I belong to has a repeater on 147.000 but there isn't much activity. It gets busy when we do communications for events like bike races. That's another fun way to get involved. Lots of groups do communications for events like that. Ours is yars.org if you want to check it out.

Steve

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  4. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

.52 here - crickets only.

5. AF7XI

AF7XI Ham Member QRZ Page

Late to the thread, but just discovered I was a couple rolling hills from a vibrant .52. Had a couple great QSO; one with a very studious , inquisitive Tech and another with a friendly AE.

6. KA7RRA

KA7RRA Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I just put up a Comment GP-15 Tribander I use a FT-891A and I have been hearing all kinds of activity on 146.520 I'm now listening to aircraft I have been having fun with it

K2SOG and AF7XI like this.
  7. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Heard some activity on .52 for the first time today since setting up the FT-857D on my desk. Only heard one side of the conversation. There were two others but I could not hear them with just my indoor mag-mount. I was working at the time so didn't bother picking up my mike to see if the station I could hear could hear me. I have been throwing my call out periodically but with an indoor cheap antenna I am obviously not being heard very far.

8. N2HUN

N2HUN Ham Member QRZ Page

Heard an op mountain topping from the Poconos the other day, he was on .52 making contacts, then moving to .58 for a QSO. He had a full quieting signal over 50 miles away from my QTH. Was encouraged and am now awaiting the arrival of an Icom IC-25A, an older radio but I like older rigs. Supposedly works fine but will do an alignment just to make sure. Hope to make some contacts on simplex. I heard these units came with a tone board but not sure about this particular one. 21 memories, 25W. Can't wait hi hi.

K2SOG likes this.
  9. WA8UEG

WA8UEG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm on top of a mountain in the Pocono's with a 14 element beam about 63' AGL plus I can operate the beam vertical or horizontally polarized. I also have a 350 watt amp and a quick call on .52 almost always brings 3 or 4 responding. I also talk with hikers on the Appalachian Trail during the summer wanting local info as well as the tourists visiting the area looking for directions or dining recommendations. I sure prefer it to the repeaters which I am never on except for a friend of mine who has one about 80 miles from me close to Philly..

N2HUN and K2SOG like this.
  10. KJ7HZW

KJ7HZW Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been making some contacts on 146.520 lately. I'm only getting a few cities away at best. Only a few of those contacts happened in the Rainier Valley area (Seattle). The better clearer contacts where made in Seatac, 15 minutes south of Seattle. As far as 446.000, no luck yet. I'm using a dipole antenna in my apartment window in a middle unit with a 50 watt TYT 9800.