146.52 FM

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K2SOG, Dec 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
  1. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

you guys are lucky, used to be so crowded here that other freqs were often used, 650, 655, 658.
    There used to be a net on 652 but that moved to a repeater.
    lots of packet radio, local repeater use has dropped off, a shame theres about a dozen nearby.

2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately little where I live. I always monitor .52 in the shack and when mobile....but then the dozens of repeaters I can access from home (some nearly 100 miles away) are not very busy either. From my house I have had some .52 contacts and most of those were SOTA contacts with the mountain topper running very low power into not much of an antenna. I wish there were more .52 activity like there was in the "old days"

3. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I think the reason is that the days of buying a radio and having it come with crystals for 34/94 and .52 are long gone. It used to be that if you went simplex, it was .52 (or .94 in pre-historic times). But nowadays around here if our conversations are getting long-winded, we move up to .55 or something else, and when we're done, it's back to monitoring .52.

N7WR likes this.
  4. N9NAY

N9NAY Ham Member QRZ Page

Just out of curiosity today, I set my radio to .520 and then set Audacity to VOX record. I then left the house for about 10 hours. When I came home, there was precisely zero recording to be heard.

NQ1B and N2HUN like this.
  5. N4DJC

N4DJC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the situation here as well. And the repeaters aren't much better.

There's one wide range repeater that has a fair amount of traffic during the mornings and off and on during the afternoon. Nothing like the 80's and early 90's.

The main two here in my town are almost silent, I monitor and drop my call when I'm around the radio....nothng. One would think with the sunspot cycle at a low point, 2 meters would be busier.

I ran APRS for a few months thinking I'd hear more activity, but most of the stations are unattended.

6. K2SOG

K2SOG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Today, I heard a call on 52 and responded. Two more guys soon joined in then we jumped on 446.0 to test that as well and had a nice chat. I'm enjoying FM simplex for the moment.

K3RW, K3DBI and N4DJC like this.
  7. K0GOV

K0GOV Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this is going to be my mission this weekend. I've never made any contacts on 2 meter simplex before and time is a wasting!!!! il_570xN.1918779616_pc0i.jpg

AD8FD, K3DBI and K2SOG like this.
  8. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think most radios have those crystals.

My deviation meter is a crystal controlled on 146.520.

Rocks still Rock. :)

W6KCS likes this.
  9. K3RW

K3RW Ham Member QRZ Page

.52 is so busy here with SOTA (and .58 also), so I routinely call on 223.5 or 446 and make them actually chase me.

N4DJC likes this.
  10. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

It has been 30 years since I did much 2M FM mobile , but my last mobile had a 7/8 wavelength colinear antenna on the roof and 140 W amp hooked up to a rig with a VERY hot and bulletproof front end (great in intermod alley downtown) I heard everybody but there still were ops who could not hear my big signal. I did a lot of QSOs on 146.52, 55 and 58.
    I worked one handheld op sitting in his living room 10+ miles away and decent base setups 30-50 miles away. All in flatland Michigan
    No mountain tops,
    No repeater needed !
    :D

K3RW likes this.