146.52 FM

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by K2SOG, Dec 24, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2SOG

K2SOG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In my neck of the woods 52 is busy. Worked mobile and fixed today, How is it in your neck of the woods?

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

LOTS of 146.52 activity here near Seattle - especially in the warmer months - we have LOTS of mountains so get LOTS of Summits on the Air folks (SOTA)

Even outside of SOTA we have a LOT of activity on 146.52

Just make sure not to program a PL tone for 146.52 or you might find it a VERY lonely place!!

Dave
    W7UUU

K3RW, N3AWS and K2SOG like this.
  3. KD8TUT

KD8TUT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well... there's a lot of activity in Chicago. Which is across Lake Michigan from me. About 66 miles to downtown Chicago from my house on the lake shore.

I should clarify that- you can get a QSO if you call. Lots of them. But 52 isn't exactly hopping. Seems everyone is monitoring and not calling.

Here in Berrien County MI there's some along interstate 94. But our population is pretty spread out so there's not enough density for real activity. It's also not flat here. We have several hills strewn about that tend to make things difficult in some areas.

Most of the time the wide area repeaters are active. And when conditions are right we work out of the local area.

We track 2 meter propagation in the area on our club website- which is updated every 2 minutes:

https://www.w8mai.org/index.php/aprs-weather

K2SOG likes this.
  4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I travel North America both from the highways and aeronautical mobile, and I constantly monitor .52, activity level is probably 10% of what it was 25 years ago.

I think the first reason is many amateurs do not put up decent outside antennas so they can enjoy the fun of simplex.

The second reason is many people are using digital modes on VHF.

The third reason is many ham do not monitor 52 simplex, what a shame they're missing out on a great mode of amateur radio

K2SOG likes this.
  5. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

52 is dead here....

6. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's pretty busy 'round here.

As Dave wrote (above), a lot of SOTA activations -- seems there are SOTA guys out there every single day, but more on weekends. I think I've now learned the "names" of almost every mountain around here. I can look around from any hilltop and see a hundred other hilltops but didn't know most of their names, or even if they had names.

Now, I know. The SOTA guys tell me which one they're on.:p Some of those are quick in-and-out contacts that only last 30 seconds, but most turn into brief ragchews that last a few minutes. If the SOTA op is willing to chat, I always ask where they're from, how they got up there, what gear they brought with them, if it's really windy up there and stuff like that.

I'm amazed how many aren't from around here at all. Common to work SOTA ops visiting from other states, and occasionally from other countries. Those "foreigners" generally do not know the names of all the hilltops, and may not even know the name of the one they're on, just the SOTA number.

Between those, there are a lot of rag chews going on. 146.52 seems more active than any of the repeaters.

K2SOG likes this.
  7. K9PHT

K9PHT Ham Member QRZ Page

Like most Hams when on RV travel mode we always listen on 52... I have 146.52 on a rear mounted bumper sticker... Always get to talk to someone on my trips...

Under my seat I also have a CB setup with the squelch setting all the way up and this lets me monitor the local CB Truckers with their Police and Emergency road conditions. Having the squelch all the way up make for close proximity conversations only. The CB band is still rather raunchy...

Roy Ken
    K9PHT

K2SOG and K0UO like this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That's exactly what most of my RV friends and I do it also, how much does it cost a few times a year somebody will pass me and see the 52 sticker and call me!
    Most of us have memory 19 programmed into HF radio with CB Channel 19 if we need to listen we'll switch over there occasionally. Pretty helpful if there is a traffic mess, just to listen.

9. N7BKV

N7BKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Rarely very busy around here. Mountainous area. Go-to operation is repeaters on account of common terrain issues for most local hams. However, from premium ridge tops or summits simplex op on 52 is a thing still. Not busy, but someone is usually monitoring. It is easy and common to make 120+ mile 2 Meter QSO's on with a good antenna. On each of my vehicles I have a Comet CA-2x4 SA antenna and enjoy good results. I think there could be a lot more simplex, but local ops are just out of the habit of doing so because repeaters are so necessary for most contacts.

Just today during a QSO I moved to 52 from a repeater when it was obvious the simpliex should work. And it did! Just as good as the repeater. 66 miles on 5 watts mobile.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  10. W6KCS

W6KCS Ham Member QRZ Page

In Northern California it's busy most weekends with SOTA activity. I monitor from a mountaintop receiver and on any given weekend I might hear three or four SOTA guys on other mountain tops along with lots of guys talking to them. From my house in the Sacramento Valley I usually hear one or two of them direct. Other than that it's used mostly as a calling channel, with lots of guys monitoring, but the longer conversations usually get moved off to something else. But I can almost always get somebody if I make a call, even from the home station. It seems busier than it used to be. I've had the remote base for a long time and I don't remember it being as busy as it is now. I hear a surprising number of younger guys (and gals) with newer callsigns, which is nice.