144.210 11/24/2014 8-10pm eastern

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KK4YWN, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KK4YWN

KK4YWN Ham Member QRZ Page

My antenna was pointed 330-ish from Mount Holly NC in hopes of hearing some ops near Morganton NC. Randomly, I could hear bits and pieces of voice and cw, but nothing was coherent. So if you were operating: you were almost heard.

The audio was warbly and faded in/out in a weird way. Even the CW was warbly. It would come in and roll out in complete chaos. The stuff I normally hear fades in rapid succession but this was just warbly gobbledy gook. Like a mixed soup of conversations.

Can anyone explain the cause? I read somewhere that aurora causes really bizarre audio, but being this far south, i'm assuming it wasn't aurora... unless there might have been aurora + ducting.

Any information would be appreciated.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

May have been meteor scatter. That can produce signals that peak to being readable for a second or two then fade down to almost nothing, or really nothing, and then peak up again as the signal catches the ionized trails of multiple meteors. The timing between peaks can be seconds to quite a long time (like a minute or more).

To work this "successfully" using SSB or CW normally requires power and big antennas; however using FSK441 (WSJT digital mode), it can be done with less.

3. W0AAT

W0AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Multipath.

5. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll have to see if I can work you from Raleigh. Is .210 active around you or was it just random?

6. KK4YWN

.21 is becoming active. Myself and another ham in Maiden NC found each other by chance and qso whenever possible. Others have found us and joined in. Sunday night, we had 6-7 stations on freq, and that drew a lot of random attention from around the area. However, SSB operation on 2m is a patient mans game.

Also aim west toward hickory. Anyplace between .2 and .21 would have activity. Timing is pretty random, but we typically grab a rag and start chewing after 9pm.

Working me from Raleigh is easy since I'm in Durham mon-fri :)

I'm mobile, vertically polarized, and limited to 50w, but if you hear me on the big .21 repeater at 5ish, I'll be happy to QSY to a SSB freq for a bit. Especially since doing so almost always draws a few more stations, and once people start playing on SSB they almost always catch the bug :)

When I'm home my radio is on but rarely tuned into a repeater. Sometimes I'll park it on the freq of a known beacon and just listen to it fade for hours. I know I'm weird.

7. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds good! I'll listen out for you. I've got a nice beam going up but for now I'm vertical as well.
    I was asked to pass this along:
    Would you let kk4ywn know Mondays @ 8pm on 144.210 is the N. GA. Net w/ Tom, w4tmw em84ni as NCS. he starts looking S. to FL. to pick us up first. Ash has no email ad on QRZ. TNX ! c u in the pileup, ken-n4tut-el98gp

8. KK4YWN

sweet. i'll try and make the 128 miles to Toms qth next monday. thanks for the relay.

i'm headed to mebane in the morning to have turkey with a friend, then back to the charlotte area for the weekend. i'll give you a call on the repeater when i head out and if you're available we can try ssb... but its a 35 mile haul from your place to durham so that may not work. trying is always fun though :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.