ad: Mountaingoat-1

14 Common Phone Mistakes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8QS, Mar 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a world outside the US, you know.
    In my country (The Netherlands) using NATO phonetics is mandatory according to our communications legislation. And I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case in many other countries.

And as ham radio is about communications worldwide, it seems quite logical to me that we all would use the same phonetic alphabet. After all, we're also using the same Q-codes, right?

KI7PMQ, GM4JPZ, WA8FOZ and 2 others like this.
  2. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is? - just joking, I wish more people here would learn about the rest of the world...

I can understand the motivation for a regulation saying a particular alphabet should be used. But how strictly is it interpreted there - what about the occasional use of a something else to accomplish a contact? If the other station can’t understand a phonetic letter of your call after several tries, do you use a different phonetic, or must you give up and abandon the contact?

AK5B likes this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, and the US should determine what's best for the US.

You should comply with the rules and regulations of your country. I do.

WD4IGX, AK5B, WE4B and 1 other person like this.
  4. WA3VJB

WA3VJB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You are probably among those who know it gets even more complicated than that.

The courtesy of interrupting your own transmission to see if you're doubling with someone, is often combined with making an emphatic point or response as a good conversation on AM is underway.

Explanation: While it's nice to defer to someone else if you both started making your point, it's also a tactic to make your point first by insisting that you are letting up ONLY to check if you're doubling, NOT to make way for someone else to get ahead of you! It's a funny human dynamic, all good-natured.

WN1MB likes this.
  5. K7RLN

K7RLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, guys, but you forgot one. 'K7RLN - clear'. What's the point of saying clear? Most of the time you aren't done, ESPECIALLY if someone calls you again. Just give your call sign, and be done.

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Perhaps I'm missing your point. As an example, I'm on the local wide area 440 network and I finish a contact I will say K3XR clear. That indicates to others listening that I'm "clear" of the system and it's available. It's at best a 50-50 probability that another station will call me but yes it does happen. It also happens that others are waiting to use the system or make a call not directed to me.

WD4IGX likes this.
  7. KQ8W

KQ8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Same. I use it to tell everyone I'm no longer monitoring, similar to how I would say "KQ8W, monitoring" when entering a frequency.

K3XR likes this.
  8. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have always found that use of plain, common, language rather than ham phrases and terms works the best. As for phonetics unless they are really weird who cares.

N0TZU and K7JEM like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The real annoyance is the station that shows up on a frequency and only announces a call sign. Notice I did not say their call sign. Who knows whose call sign it is? As you indicate a simple "This is K3XR monitoring" (or listening) removes any doubt. And likewise, if you are answering a call from another station don't just say or send your call. "K3XR this is (DE on CW) KQ8W". Now that wasn't so difficult. Was it?

KQ8W likes this.
  10. K7RLN

K7RLN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, to me, it's superfluous. People can usually tell when you're done with a QSO ('Hey, thanks for the chat. 73 and have a good evening. This is <call sign>'). To me, that indicates finality. I don't see the point of adding a 'clear' at the end. But, that's just MY opinion. I'm not going to call anyone out. But, it just seems redundant, and not necessary.

11. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed. And be consistent. See you on 87, 44, 22, 16 or 11 yards then. Or maybe on 9"? See how daft it is, being inconsistent with the rest of the world?

W8DE and F1RAF like this.
  12. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

That's OK...nothing wrong with having an opinion.

13. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The only thing "daft" is allowing the rest of the world to determine what's best for your country.

WD4IGX, AK5B, W2CPD and 4 others like this.
  14. W2BDN

W2BDN Ham Member QRZ Page

:)

15. WW1I

WW1I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course there is a global standard for phonetics. That statement is utter nonsense.