ad: MLSons-1

13 COLONIES SPECIAL EVENT

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KU2US, Jun 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. W4FDT

W4FDT Ham Member QRZ Page

thanks, yes i upload all my contacts nightly to both.. im just trying to catch K2C on ft8/ft4 today to wrap it up.

2. KC3RAA

KC3RAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Being new at this, I only attempted to contact each station once, on whatever band that I happened to hear them on, and accomplished a sweep that way. Should I have been trying to make contact when I heard the stations on a band other than the one I initially contacted them on or is that just a personal thing?

3. K2DFC

K2DFC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Only if you want to. This is a special event not a contest.

KC3RAA likes this.
  4. KC3RAA

KC3RAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ok, thanks. This is really the first event that I have ever participated in

5. N0NC

N0NC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Got all except GB13COL and TM13COL (neither of which I could copy well enough to work them) yesterday is about 2 hours, half on SSB, half on CW. 100 watts and a ground mounted vertical. 20 meters was in good shape last night.

73, Chuck
    N0NC

6. NT9W

NT9W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a big dilemma to rectify, as I'm an idiot. As a new ham, this is my first 13 Colonies event, and I jumped the gun. I got a clean sweep with all 13 colonies and one bonus. Being the last day of the contest and being busy, I didn't think I'd have time to pursue the last two bonus stations, let alone break the pile-ups. Therefore, I mailed in my log and money this morning for my certificate.

Lo and behold, I actually got the two remaining bonus stations this afternoon! Now I have to find a way to cancel my first certificate request and submit my amended application. Would my best approach be to just send in another one with another $5? I'd do that if the first one wouldn't stop me from getting the second one.

I already emailed Ken after the first added bonus, but not after the second. I'm sorry for the hassle.

7. K2DFC

I would send Ken another e-mail with the log info for the two new qso's. He may be a little busy now but I'm sure he can help you out.

8. NT9W

I don't want to put any extra work on him, so I'll see if he reads my post here before hassling him again via email. It seems like a lot of work for him to remember my call sign then try to dig it out of a huge pile of envelopes when it arrives in a couple of days.

9. K2DFC

Big fan of 69 & 70 Mustang's. Yours is looking sweet.

NT9W likes this.
  10. K2WPM

K2WPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

We thought it would be fun to schedule a special two-hour slow-speed code segment directed at Long Island CW Club students (thanks Howard); it was a blast, the two hours went on much longer, and went well beyond LICW. Lots of the "slow code" people like me (15 wpm is "slow") are frustrated at not being able to participate in this type of contest, as ops like to run at 20 - 25 wpm or more ... Shout-out to Leon NT8B who handled the turtle pile-up! Fun.
    David, K2WPM
    K2B Coordinator 2021

11. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd just sent in another application with the $5.00.
    Congrats on the "Clean Sweep" :)

12. K2WPM

K2WPM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Just send another log and fee.
    He's up to his elbows now and for the foreseeable future. Thousands upon thousands of certificate requests.
    And by the way, if people cannot afford the $5 fee (to cover cost of printing etc), (a) Ken will generally send it free if you indicate you really cannot afford and (b) those of us who can afford, send small donations to Ken to help cover. He puts in tons of time and money, it's the least we can do.
    David, K2WPM
    K2B Coordinator 2021

N4FZ and US7IGN like this.
  13. NT9W

Yeah, I have no problem sending in a second $5. I just want to make sure that sending in a second log won't mess anything up -- ie "Hey, this dude already got a certificate. He doesn't need a second one."

14. W1VKE

W1VKE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I actually got the last two colonies I needed before it ended. So all 13 for me with the PA bonus all QRP CW.
    The short exchange contests / special events have really helped my learning process. This was a really fun event and now I am looking forward to the Route 66 event in Sept.

WN1MB likes this.
  15. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked K2J and exclusively at 12 wpm on CW.
    It was to give the slower guys a chance .... and I spotted it as " 13 col slow code".
    I normally contest around 20 wpm, but only hunt-n-pounce.
    I actually struggle with slowing down and sending for the first couple of hours! :mad: