ad: UR5CDX-1

13 Colonies Special Event Station

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KG4RUL, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. N0CEL

N0CEL Ham Member QRZ Page

I also had a blast with this event...I only logged 3 stations, in the First (2009) event. To those who had "issues", this time around...patience...and a little common courtesy go a LONG way with contests, such as these. I got run over by tons of big boys with big amplifiers...NOT whining - this just honed my receiving skills even that much more! However, what I DID NOT appreciate, was the FEW times when I was "pushed off" of a frequency ("this frequency is in use")...only to hear the SAME operators calling the contest station, just seconds later. This does not set a good example for newer operators?! End of rant...and THANK YOU to those that gave up their own personal time to help this event become what it is!!

2. KB1SUN

KB1SUN Guest

Great Event - Thanks to KU2US and all the Ops!

Thanks to KU2US and all the operators for spending their 4th of July weekend on the air.

It was a terrific learning experience for me as a newbie. Heard lots of different operating styles among the 13 Colonies stations as well as those trying to make the QSO's. Successfully worked several pileups with 100 watts and a Buckmaster OCF in the trees. Learned how to use the dx clusters and posted several spots myself.

Propagation was an interesting challenge, especially being in Connecticut; the New England stations were much harder to work than those south of the Mason-Dixon line. (K2A being particularly hard until Ken moved to 80M last night, and K2H was just hard to find!) Didn't get the satellites or mobiles, but, hey, that gives me something to shoot for next year.

I had thought I had worked all 13 states (and MN5ALJ), including K2D, which was my first contact (even though close in), but I'm not showing up in their on-line log (http://www.clublog.org/logsearch/K2D), so now I'm not so sure. Received an LoTW QSL from K2E and eQSL's from N2RO/K2I and N2MZZ/K2M (very cool, guys, thanks), so I know I'm on the board with at least three!

Thanks again for a great event!

Tony
    KB1SUN

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010
  3. WB8PJE

WB8PJE Ham Member QRZ Page

Clean Sweep Woo Hoo !!!

I didn't start even trying until Sunday 7/4. Found about 7-8 on Sunday on 20 and 40 meters. Found the rest on Monday 7/5. The hardest..RI and NY. I heard RL a few times but could never get through all the QRM. Finally got it on Monday. I never heard NY until Monday are 5pm est. He was working Europe and had to wait...finally at 5:30pm est....got him.

This was a real fun event....Thanks to all those who sponsored this event and the countless of hours donated.

Don
    WB8PJE

4. KB1SUN

KB1SUN Guest

Clean Sweep!

Showed up in K2D's on-line log today and have received a couple more eQSL and LoTW QSL's, so at the risk of jinxing myself, I think I got 'em all!

5. WB4AEJ

WB4AEJ Ham Member QRZ Page

MVRC Got Them All

Well, last year we only got nine of the thirteen.

This year we got them all AND the UK station, too.

So we had a good time.

I'm really looking forward to putting that certificate on the wall of our club house.

Fred, WB4AEJ

6. KU2US

KU2US Ham Member QRZ Page

Fun!

Reading the comments above, I am sure everyone had fun during this event, the way it should be. If only everyone could see what went on behind the scenes! One Op blew his radio and worked the end part with a Swan 500 boat anchor, one destroyed his antenna, I killed my dipole balun and fried my amp, another destroyed his power supply and worked off a car battery, but we kept going. Propagation was not our friend again this year-Where are the sun spots? Can you imagine if we had good sunspots what would of happened? No sleep-No food-No XYL :) I am proud of all the Colony Ops and equally as proud of everyone that called in, because of the patience and consideration everyone had this year. I didnot hear ONE frequency police! OK, time to do the certificates..over 700 came in with-in two days..I dont mind the work, everyone deserves one. Thanks again to everyone

Ken Villone-KU2US
    administrator

7. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the great effort this was my first time and was a lot of fun. Managed to get all 13 and certificate is in nice frame hung up in the kitchen! Very nice certificate!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.