ad: elecraft

13 Colonies Special Event Station

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by KG4RUL, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ORIGINAL 13 COLONIES INDEPENDENCE WEEK SPECIAL EVENT [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] JULY 1ST TO JULY 5TH - 2009[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]******ALL 13 COLONY STATES ARE NOW REPRESENTED************[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] ********NY-NJ-RI-GA-PA-NH-SC-VA-CT-DE-MD-MA-NC* ****[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] (HF/VHF/Repeater/Mobile-Rover & Satellite Stations)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Website at: http://home.comcast.net/~dzabawa/ThirteenColonies.htm[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Starting on July 1st to July 5th 2009, all thirteen 1776 original colonies will be on the air. One to several S.E. stations per Colony stat[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A magnificent full color certificate printed on heavy card stock with a map and the state flags of all the 1776 colony states adorn this award. You can work one state or all 13 and be eligible for the certificate. Each colony state worked will be marked by the shield of the United States. Also a special "Contact" logo will be affixed if you worked one or all 13 stations.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Special event call signs will be used (K2A Thru K2M). All modes of operation should be represented-SSB, CW, RTTY Et.-The mode of operation is up to the individual colony state station.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Each OP is to send a contact log stating the Date, UTC, Band, & call sign of each contact, along with your QSL card and $4.00 US. (to help defray printing costs). PLEASE NO STAMPS.. NO SASE required. We will furnish postage, certificate and 9"x12" envelope via 1st class mail.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The certificate will NOT be folded. K2A (NY-KU2US) will issue a special event QSL card for a QSO with K2A for those Ops that request one in lieu of the certificate. SASE Please for QSL card only.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All award requests and payment to be sent and made out to the award manager-KU2US (Address on QRZ.com).
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All bands will be in play except the WARC bands and 60 meters. The Colony stations will be operating on or near the"13" of each band (Eg.14.213, 14.013,14.313, 7.213, 7.013, et.).
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2 meters and 6 meter simplex are encouraged. Why? the SE stations are on the east coast and are very close to each other. It will be harder for these states to contact each other, also 40m-160m is encouraged because of this.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The SE will begin July 1st at 1300 and end July 5th at 0400 UTC. You may print out a log form for your use from our website. All Colony states for this event, are represented to date.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This SE will be annual each year, with a different spectacular multi-color certificate for variety-be sure to collect all issues.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This is going to be fun, and hopefully the propagation gods will be co-operative.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For additional info. E-mail me at: dentron1@yahoo.com. OR go to our website link above.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]MANY THANKS TO DENNIS ZABAWA-KG4RUL IN SOUTH CAROLINA, FOR SETTING UP THE SE WEBSITE.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]SEND CERTIFICATE REQUESTS TO:Ken Villone-KU2US-AWARD MGR.PO.BOX 185, CONESUS NY.14435[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]**NEW DEVELOPMENT**
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1.) Tim, N3TL is in the process of setting up Colony SE stations via SATELLITE. If you have a satellite station, here is your chance to QSO a special event. Please dont "Pass" this one up :) Something for everyone. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2.) Jim, ND9M will be working in North Carolina as K2T/Mobile. He will be traveling thru many N.C. counties for you county hunters over the entire span of the special event. Here is a chance to bag a few rare ones.. :)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]**SPECIAL EVENT COLONY STATES & CALL SIGNS ARE:**[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]K2A-NY K2B-VA K2C-RI K2D-CT K2E-DE K2F-MD K2G-GA[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]K2H-MA K2I-NJ K2J-NC K2K-NH K2L-SC K2M-PA [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]K2T/Mobile-NC (Will count as a contact for North Carolina on Certificate)[/FONT]

2. N1GKE

N1GKE Ham Member QRZ Page

Where are all the stations operating ??

Well, it is the third of July. I have been waiting for months for the chance.
    Since this SE began I have managed to work VA, MA and NY.
    The SC station found on 20 meters was just too busy to work and I really don't have a skyhook for that band.

Where are all the other stations operating ?? They are no where to be found, not a one. I would think these stations would be on 24/7 (not possible). Some of these stations should be bouncing my speaker off the desk as I am within easy reach of all 13 states and have a reasonably good HF station setup, sans amplifier.

What I think is going to happen, too bad really, is the majority of these stations will be on the air on the Fourth of July and the pile-ups will be so bad it won't be worth listening for them. Bummer.

Dan, K2B, was working like a mad-man and doing one heck of a job, although not an easy reach with my antenna facing Europe. The pile up for that station was incredible.

I will continue to scan all bands between the 160 meter band right through the satellite bands. Many 73 to all and I hope everyone has a safe Fourth of July weekend.

de Myrton - N1GKE -

"Find solutions, not fault."

3. NS8N

NS8N Ham Member QRZ Page

Would be nice if the 20m CW frequency wasn't down in the Extra portion of the band...

EDIT: NM, I hear a station on 14.113

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  4. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

All Im missing is K2C and K2J/K2T. If you make one contact you get the certificate, but I'm wanting a clean sweep.

5. K4MIA

K4MIA Ham Member QRZ Page

NY3C/K2E for Delware?

Is Gene NY3C/K2E valid for Delware. Have worked all 13 but might try to find
    K2E to be safe.

73 Mike K4MIA

6. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

I heard K2C but he was light in AL. May have been a skip zone thing.

I got 11 of 13.. Didnt hear K2J at all or K2T/M.

Gald you got the sweep.

7. K5UC

K5UC Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanted a clean sweep but K2C wasn't on the air much. Why wasn't K2C on the air? I looked everywhere last night for him and all week. But I had lot's of fun looking and working all the K2's.

God bless America and I hope everyone had a happy 4th.

Tnx K2's,

K5UC

8. N0FJP

N0FJP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K2C and all the other SE stations...

I was able to work K2C but came up short on K2D.
    I understand that there where issues that may have kept him off the air.
    I hope things go well with that.
    All in all I thought all the operators did a fine job handling the pile ups.
    Using the system of taking calls by the number helped a lot for those stations on the west coast, Midwest as well as the DX.
    I just don't understand how a station can keep calling when the OP was asking for an area other than theres. Whats up with that?

To all the Operators that ran this event, a big Thank You for taking time out of you weekend for all of us.

Marv
    N0FJP
    (12 of 13)

9. WJ6R

WJ6R Ham Member QRZ Page

Same with me and K2C, according to the spots, his son was in the hospital. I ended up 12 of the 13 also getting K2T/M about 0330 GMT last night. I did hear K2C, but I think I was in the skip zone or on the edge as I could barley hear him on 40 phone. I was hoping he'd go to 20 but that never happened.

Maybe next year.

10. AG5I

AG5I Ham Member QRZ Page

Great Event, Fine effort by all the K2 Stations!

I really enjoyed the event. I scored 7 colonies but had a blast doing so...I suspect next yr will be even better. Regardless, I thank each of the stations for an incredible effort...God Bless America, and only 364 days til next yrs contest.

73! Doug AG5I

11. W8NGA

W8NGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I really had a blast working the different stations over the last few days. I too missed working K2D and dont know what happened to that station but I just read on the KU2US page here on QRZ that they will give credit for Delaware if that is the only state that your missing.

Thanks, Greg W8NGA

12. KE5WWO

KE5WWO Ham Member QRZ Page

Did not get my clean sweep

I managed to get Deleware, but could not find New Jersey, Mass. New York, Conn. or Rhode Island anywhere. I did enjoy the effort. God Bless America!

13. KB3LIX/SK2023

KB3LIX/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

K2D was in Connecticut, NOT Deleware.
    The credit is for CT if they are the only one missing.

14. WA4OTD

WA4OTD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Still going! I worked 4 states, will see how many I can get starting this late.

15. WA0EMX

WA0EMX Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is K2B or KJ4DHF/K2B ??

Are either of these stations on 20 meters? Have searched diligently on 15 and 10 meters as well with no luck. Unfortunately I don't have antennas for 80 or 40 meters at our club station, W0SHQ, so I suspect they have stayed mostly on the lower bands. ARGHHHH...! May have to be satisfied with the 12 QSOs I've had thus far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.