13 Colonies Operators Using "Split"

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5CM, Jul 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the K2- operators in the 13 Colonies special event are using "split" operation, and it appears that quite a few folks do not understand how to operate in that fashion.

In split operation, a station will transmit on, for example, 7.028 MHz. That operator will be listening for your signal, for example, in the range of 7.029 to 7.030 MHz. When the operator is operating in split mode, he/she will send "up" after his/her call sign.

To operate split on most modern transceivers, you need to engage that feature. Check the manual for your transceiver. If you transmit on the K2- frequency when the K2- operator is operating split, it makes for a huge mess and slows everyone down.

When you are transmitting on the same frequency as the K2- station and you hear other people send "up up", that means the K2- operator is operating split, and that means you should be operating split as well.

Please check your transceiver manual and learn this new skill.

KA2FIR, K8BZ, N2EY and 2 others like this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ain't that the truth! LIDS! I saw K2G spotted as K2GUP - haha.

W7UUU, KC5NYO, K1LKP and 10 others like this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

“New skill”?

KA2FIR, W7UUU and KI4WCA like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it does make it easier to work ‘em, when 497 stations are calling K2x on his/her frequency, and the 3 who are paying attention call him/her on QRV +1 kHz... and you’re one of the 3.

Just got my (1x1) sweep, K2C on 40 SSB, 7216 kHz, Dave W2DAN at the Mike, working by numbers. Earliest ever! Just need a few band/mode fills, and the two EU bonus stations.

5. KI4WCA

KI4WCA Ham Member QRZ Page

Operating split is easy. New skill? FAIL.

KA2FIR likes this.
  6. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Noticed that. No prob here. Maybe if they would say up 5 or whatever, instead of spread um out it might help some. I know what spread um out means but some may not.

7. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

We’re still working on how 40m isn’t channelized, give it some time. We’ll get there.

W0FS, W5TTP, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

“What do you mean ‘we’, kemosabe?” :cool:

N2EY likes this.
  9. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

You and me. We’re on a mission, and you specifically said you’d wear the approved uniform and cape to help get this important operating message across.

The approved uniform: tights.

W0FS and WN1MB like this.
  10. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just be happy that you can work these special event stations. Some of us are away from our stations or even if we are home, rotten conditions prevent us from even hearing the East Coast.

So, work them if you can. Personally, I would like another W1AW portable from every state again. I missed quite a few of those due to work responsibilities. The next time they do it, I'll be retired, so maybe I could fill in some gaps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.