13.8 V, 40A Switchmode PS by XQ2FOD - QST Dec. '98 - Jan '99

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by K5QED, Oct 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K5QED

K5QED Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was looking at several schematics for 13.8V linear power supplies, when I happened across this QST article from a couple of decades ago.

After reading through it a couple of times, and determining if I could still find the required parts, I decided to build one myself.

Yes, I know -- the build will cost a lot more than buying an off-the-shelf unit from Astron or some unknown Chinese manufacturer, but I have always had a fascination with switchers, especially the bizarre-looking magnetic components. Besides, where is the challenge in buying something that may be difficult or impossible to repair if it should fail, and will end up being tossed in the trash?

So far, I have the PCB that is still available from FAR Circuits ( thanks Fred!) and he majority of the passive components that I already had on hand.

Next step is fabricating the main power transformer which will be built from some TDK E-cores that I found online for cheap, as well as the necessary copper foil and Mylar tape that arrived last week.

Too late to turn back now ...

I was wondering if anyone else has built this unit from the article and how it turned out.

I will update this thread with my progress as I continue to work on this project.

Charles
    K5QED

KN4LGM likes this.
  2. SM0GLD

SM0GLD Ham Member QRZ Page

3. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  4. VK2HHS

VK2HHS Ham Member QRZ Page

I haven't yet built this but have planned to do so for some time.

I'd be pleased to see how you get along with it.

VK2HHS - Henrik