12volt right and 24 volt battery?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KB7KJY, Oct 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Those VW Westfalias are all the rage now with the youngsters! My 18yr grandson is nuts about them. He is saving for one too.
    Yes, Just like you, I figure I'm payin extra for mains AC power so I may just as well take use it, fool not to... Also hv solar and quiet genset.
    That electric box conduit provides an extra fine ground source for my HF vert I have propped against my fiberglass bodided RV too!

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.

K3XR likes this.
  2. KB7KJY

KB7KJY Ham Member QRZ Page

What good would an isolator do me other than fry electronics and batteries?

3. N6PAS

N6PAS Ham Member QRZ Page

What are driving that has 24vhouse battery?

4. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh please use your head. Isolators are an RV user best friend and a must have item, especially if you are green mafia living off solar. Electronic Isolators can have up to 4 ports, 1 input and and 3 output. The better units have an Alternator Voltage Regulator built-in.

They allow your vehicle alternator not only to charge the vehicle SLI battery, but also allow you to charge up to 3 different House Battery Systems specific to each batteries needs. Really important especially if you are running solar because the vehicle alternator can generate more energy in one hour than solar can do over several days. Batteries get low, run the engine. They keep you batteries Isolated from each other. So when you go to start your RV up, the SLI battery will be fully charged regardless of what SOC the House Batteries are in.

Most of the better electronic isolators also come with an Emergency SLI Charge Circuit. In the event your RV SLI battery does die on you say from cold or hot weather, throw a switch, and your house batteries will charge the SLI battery allowing you to start up and make your escape back to the city for a new SLI battery.

Built many solar systems and just plain ole battery systems in many friends RV's. Isolators are standard equipment and no RV should be without one along with a Generator. Bottom line here, design and size the batteries correctly, and you should be able to go 3 days without any sun or recharge. On third day, drive or run motor to get recharged, or run genny off your LPG tank.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    K0UO likes this.