12VDC or DC-AC inverter?

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by MW1CFN, Feb 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. KM4BDH

KM4BDH Ham Member QRZ Page

This maybe a newbie Question. but why not invest a little more and use a lithium ion battery for the radio as they don't have the cycle limitations of lead acid batteries and they have a better ah per size rating. charge controllers are not that expensive and with a little wiring can easily be portable(disconnects etc). i'm thinking about building the battery from cells and include the charge controller in the same package as the cells.

2. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

We can not respond with a one option that fits all , as with almost anything .
    But with lithium battery , it seems there are 2 roads to go down , one is to buy [ for a lot , too much money ] a package from a business and I can see how doing as a business the need for the high cost .
    And the other way is to build your own , but this takes lots of time to learn how to do safely , mainly because using some types of lithium chemistry can go real bad real quick .
    The old saying , you can spend time or you can spend money [ hopefully not both ;)
    For me , I do electronics build , repair etc. as part of the hobby - and a lot to be able to afford - I look for things that fit my interests , then the higher rated in what ever that is , broken [ for less ] then try to learn how to repair and have a working shack , repair bench for cheap .
    With that , I got into electronics scrapping , repair because of another ham neighbor , and at the time there were a bunch of electronics surplus , repair and a bunch of ham business's in my area .
    So every time they had too much stuff laying around , they would call me & the neighbor to cleanout there space .
    So I started collecting 18650 lithium batteries - mostly from old laptop computers , then had to move about a yr. ago , so do not have a place to set my work bench back up .
    There are many others doing the same , building Power-Walls with 18650's and a couple are on Youtube , this 1st one I think he's up to around 14K amp hours last I looked - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0pBauLp63yzf6sVdEOIUbA
    Then this guy is started with VW van electic conversion and then went to powerwall stuff - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcMfCkN1juSa49DJFYltOTw .
    I've only got a couple hundred 18650's so far , wish I had the bench space , would have done a lot more recycling & building oh well .

KM4BDH likes this.
  3. KM4BDH

KM4BDH Ham Member QRZ Page

on a similar note most high power car audio amps require a large cap along the lines of 1 farad or so for the stated reasons and are readily avail from Walmart. LOL